• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artificially Toned my first coin....

9 posts in this topic

I left a raw SAE on my dresser and then put some papers on top of it (I'm a messy person). I then went back to school and those papers stayed in contact with the coin for several months. I moved the papers around looking for something when I came back home and found the SAE underneath looking very different than before... doh! Has anyone else ever done this to a coin?

All toned coins are accidental... you never know what you'll get unless you've practiced a lot. Unfortunately, lately, most have been accidentally on purpose!

Personally, I believe you... why would you on purpose tone an ugly coin?

Sulphur in the paper and relative humidity probably mixed and created sulphur dioxide which turned your coins yellow. That toning color is not disirable and certainly won't sell for a premium.

I left a raw SAE on my dresser and then put some papers on top of it (I'm a messy person). I then went back to school and those papers stayed in contact with the coin for several months. I moved the papers around looking for something when I came back home and found the SAE underneath looking very different than before... doh! Has anyone else ever done this to a coin?

Why is that "artificially" toned?

Have you tried colored chalk then a spray of gloss coat?

I have heard one of the raw coin mail order houses does that to its "Premium Choice Uncirculated" pieces. Hopefully not, but stranger things have happened in coin land.