• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next time I'll try to be more specific.

19 posts in this topic

I bid on and won one lot in the Morphy/Legend Premiere Coin Auction. The next day, I called Morphy to arrange payment and inquire about their shipping. I asked which mode of shipping they used, and I was told USPS. Then, I asked if they would ship it Express if I paid the additional charge. The woman I spoke to in the Billing Department said that she would check. When she returned to the phone, she told me there would be no problem getting it to me by Saturday (Monday at the latest), and there would be no extra charge. All is well!

Well, almost.

It didn't arrive on Saturday, so I was expecting to find a "Notice of Attempted Delivery" in my mailbox on Monday when I got home from work. It wasn't in the mailbox. Boy, was I disappointed. This meant that I probably wouldn't get it until Wednesday since I would be at work on Tuesday when the mail arrives.

As I was about to pull into the garage, I noticed a package on the ground near the breezeway door. I recognized it immediately. No question! It was a UPS box. Now, I don't know about UPS policies in any other areas, but around here, it doesn't matter if they are delivering an elephant in a cage. If there is nobody home, they dump it on the ground. Boy, did I cringe. Here is a package worth more than $1500 just laying on the floor of my breezeway which was easily visible from the side street on the south or the vacant lot on the north.

Next time, I'll be more specific. Don't ship via UPS!

Chris

UPS is famous for this Chris unless the sender requires a signature. Otherwise, on the porch it goes!!

I'm very familiar with UPS (lousy) practices. Since I thought we (the Morphy billing department and me) had been talking about USPS, I just took it for granted that it would be shipped USPS, not another carrier.

Like I said, the next time I'll be more specific!

Chris

I bid on and won one lot in the Morphy/Legend Premiere Coin Auction. The next day, I called Morphy to arrange payment and inquire about their shipping. I asked which mode of shipping they used, and I was told USPS. Then, I asked if they would ship it Express if I paid the additional charge. The woman I spoke to in the Billing Department said that she would check. When she returned to the phone, she told me there would be no problem getting it to me by Saturday (Monday at the latest), and there would be no extra charge. All is well!

Well, almost.

It didn't arrive on Saturday, so I was expecting to find a "Notice of Attempted Delivery" in my mailbox on Monday when I got home from work. It wasn't in the mailbox. Boy, was I disappointed. This meant that I probably wouldn't get it until Wednesday since I would be at work on Tuesday when the mail arrives.

As I was about to pull into the garage, I noticed a package on the ground near the breezeway door. I recognized it immediately. No question! It was a UPS box. Now, I don't know about UPS policies in any other areas, but around here, it doesn't matter if they are delivering an elephant in a cage. If there is nobody home, they dump it on the ground. Boy, did I cringe. Here is a package worth more than $1500 just laying on the floor of my breezeway which was easily visible from the side street on the south or the vacant lot on the north.

Chris

Whew. (thumbs u

True story: a couple of early springs ago (think "March"), the sister-in-law calls to find out what we thought of her Christmas gift. Christmas gift? Yeah, the ones she had mailed to us. Huh? We never got them!

A few days later, the snow thaws out, and I go out to clean up the yard a little, and along with other trash that's blown into our yard (winters get windy) there's this grungy, grimy, damp old box laying in the yard, like it got blown over from a neighbor's yard or something. I get ready to throw it away, but boy it seems heavy! I open it up and - you guessed it - the Christmas gifts.

That's UPS for you.

Aother UPS horror story.

Wife orders this litho/print (rather large) the company sends it via UPS, we are not at home at the time of delivery, it starts to rain, the wind blows the tube over outside our front door into a puddle of standing water...good bye Joe!

Claim filed with UPS, UPS pays the company to send us another print, arrives via UPS, no one home, wind blows (it's always windy in South Texas) the rolled up print down the driveway and neighbor picks it up and brings it to us once they notice we are home.

BTW, UPS never picked up the damaged print like they said they were going to, it's still rolled up and behind the bed. The other one is now hanging in our living room.

Took them twice to get it right and then it was almost a gonner if not for honesty.

I guess it's cheaper for them to just leave packages and take their chances and not to keep them on the truck for a later attempt.

I've gotten other peoples packages left out front also...I delivered them myself.

I was rather disappointed when I was told that they were shipping UPS. I prefer everything to go to my PO Box as I can pick it up after work. With UPS I either have to be home (won't happen) or go to UPS (that's a 1-2 hour experience) or have it delivered to my work. I picked work, but UPS likes to deliver packages to the other people in the building and never tell the recipient. :(

A company only shipping UPS reduces the chances that I will bid again. If the item is something I don't really care one way or the other, I'll pass if I have to deal with the UPS hassle.

The UPS goons here in Washington state just leave the packages on the door step after they destroy the box and everything in it. I think that the UPS truck drivers and warehouse employees play kick-a-box with every package that they handle. They break about half of anything that they ship to my house including fishing rods in stout cardboard tubes with taped, plastic caps. UPS must place longer boxes on a block and jump on them to break them, but they manage to destroy anything breakable 50% of the time.

Advice, ship Fedex 2nd Day with signature required but don't ship coins over the weekend. DLRC's will not ship Fedex, 2nd day on Thursday-Friday. I always use 2nd Day Fedex now with signature required, and everthing arrives in one piece and on time.

I was rather disappointed when I was told that they were shipping UPS.

Greg, are you referring to Morphy/Legend? I plan on contacting, both, Morphy and Legend about this. I won't be doing business with them again in the future if they continue to ship coins via UPS.

Chris

I was rather disappointed when I was told that they were shipping UPS.

Greg, are you referring to Morphy/Legend? I plan on contacting, both, Morphy and Legend about this. I won't be doing business with them again in the future if they continue to ship coins via UPS.

Chris

Yep. Glad to hear they they will be giving a choice in the future.

I'd also like to see an online payment system. :wishluck:

Advice, ship Fedex 2nd Day with signature required but don't ship coins over the weekend. DLRC's will not ship Fedex, 2nd day on Thursday-Friday. I always use 2nd Day Fedex now with signature required, and everthing arrives in one piece and on time.

I have done a lot of work with shipping systems and software and know the industry pretty well. I would recommend FedEx anyday over UPS.

I think right about now I would be calling up Morphy/Legend and demanding "Hey I thought you were going to ship my coins to me by express mail and have them here by last Saturday! Where are my coins?" When (or if) they say that they were delivered on such and such day by UPS then you say "What? I haven't signed for any UPS packages! Where are my coins?" Put a little fear into them that they have lost your coins by their shipping actions.

By the way, I receive UPS packages for another business a couple doors down that isn't open during the daytime and they have NEVER left a package either for him or for myself without requiring me to sign for it. On the other hand the USPS has FREQUENTLY left packages that were insured for amounts that REQUIRED that they be signed for either just left in the box, or if too large then just sitting on the ground below the box. (They have never just left a registered package though.)

I actually had this happen with two watches that I ordered. They each were mother of pearl, and covered with about .85 carats of diamonds, with a retail price of $1,295 EACH (though I paid nothing close to that).

I hadn't gotten the packaged in a normal time, and another few days went buy, and then a week. I finally called, the company (it shall remain nameless) and they had used FedEx. FedEx KNOWS better, I get enough deliveries, to come to my front door, I am almost ALWAYS home, very few days do they catch me out, and if they do, I will make a point to be there the following day for re-delivery, or I just go to FedEx that night to get the item since I only live 10 minutes from the airport and FedEx is right over near there.

Anyway, it seems that the package had been delivered and left by my garage well over a week prior, supposedly. Mind you, I had been recovering from a broken ankle, so I had not left the house in all that time, most assuredly. I also remember that day, because I HEARD the delivery truck, and the way my house is situated, I can't see my driveway from the house. So, I went down the stairs on my bottom, expecting it to be for me, when I then saw the truck drive away. I assumed that the package was for next door, I mean other people DO get packages from time to time. So the driver NEVER EVEN TRIED to knock or ring the bell, because I was SITTING at the front door waiting!

This was December, and there had been an ice or snowstorm, and if there had been a package out there, it may have been exposed to all sorts of elements. Someone also could have taken it. When I finally got my crutches and went out there to check, explaining to their customer service that I've spoken to SUPERVISORS at FedEx about this, about NOT to leave things by my garage since i often don't leave my house for days or WEEKS at a time, and just won't NOTICE it there, so they have to come to the DOOR, and they say that IS their policy after all, to come to the door, so the driver gets a good talking to, but when I get a substitute driver, all hell breaks loose.

So, the diamond watches disappeared! Of course I was refunded, but not until I completed and got a form notarized. Like it was MY fault they didn't knock on my door or ring the bell when I was HOME????!?!? And actually sitting there waiting for them?!?!?!

rantrant

Chris

Now see, my mailman never leaves insured things that require signature but he DOES comment that I have to sign because someone probably over-insured something. I get the impression that the "Under $200" (brownish slip) insured items don't require signatures but the "Over $200" (blue slip) require a signature. Then of course the PINK "Signature Confirmation requires a signature as the name implies, but the ultra-hot green "Delivery Confirmation" does not.

By the way, I receive UPS packages for another business a couple doors down that isn't open during the daytime and they have NEVER left a package either for him or for myself without requiring me to sign for it. On the other hand the USPS has FREQUENTLY left packages that were insured for amounts that REQUIRED that they be signed for either just left in the box, or if too large then just sitting on the ground below the box. (They have never just left a registered package though.)

Well, almost.

Chris

Chris I may have this beat :baiting:... The UPS man drove away from my house with the back door open. Three boxes fell out onto my sidewalk. I called to see what Brown could do for me...well they said I had to take them to the local depot. Me? are you kidding?

Two boxes belonged to people on the block. I delivered. One box contained a Roger Maris and Roy Campenella rookie cards.

PS.. I got a cold beer and met a new collector friend out of the deal.

I was expecting something from UPS one time so imagine my surprise when it was deleivered by the Mailman. I asked him about it and he told me that it was the Policy of UPS that if it was no express or whatever there fastest deleivery is called that onec it arrives at its destination then it is given to the USPS branch that covers that zip code to deliver. Can add a day to the time.

I get the impression that the "Under $200" (brownish slip) insured items don't require signatures but the "Over $200" (blue slip) require a signature. Then of course the PINK "Signature Confirmation requires a signature as the name implies, but the ultra-hot green "Delivery Confirmation" does not.

That is correct.

Three boxes fell out onto my sidewalk. I called to see what Brown could do for me...well they said I had to take them to the local depot. Me? are you kidding?

I'd tell them "Nah, if you're not going to come get them, I'll just call them up and tell them to file insurance claims against you." Then I'd deliver them if UPS didn't come get them and I'd actually try and get them to file clams. After all UPS lost their packages and didn't deliver them so they are entitled to file a claim. The fact that I delivered the packages to them doesn't change that fact.