• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Safe deposit box find.........

11 posts in this topic

I'll offer you 50 cents just like I would at any grocery store! But I have to agree, it looks dipped, AU53 - MS62'ish.

sorry i was trying to get better pics but im going to go with dipped :( picture added again :)

I am not an expert at spotting dipped coins, but an item like this can still be a treasure to a collection.

This is one of those things where I think the services of NCS (Numismatic Conservation Services) can come into play. While they can't "fix" dipping necessarily and may not be able to conserve it, they can certainly encapsulate the coin and, depending which option you choose, either assign a details grade (such as XF, AU, etc.) or simply label the coin as "Genuine."

I think NCS if often forgotten and an underutilized service, but treasures like this can be preserved as part of a collection for generations to come, even if they have been treated badly in the past.

For especially RARE coins, I think it's even important to do so. I've even seen some rare items sell on eBay in NCS slabs for hundreds of dollars -- not as much as their NGC counterparts, but because it's a rare item, it is desirable nonetheless, and I get that.

2c

(thumbs u i was planning on selling. so i will send it with others to ncs and see if anything can be done. i admit it doesnt have a cartwheel but it is a good strike i think and has very good details.

thanks all.