• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever seen nickel bars like this?

34 posts in this topic

I'm not familiar with them, in fact this is the first time I've seen them, but they're seriously cool. I would think they're made of nickel, or some type of nickel alloy. Is there anything on the back? :)

Are you sure they're bars? They look like those cheesy little plated stamps.

I'm not sure what they are Chad. Don't have a pic of the back. They do seem to cast a decent little shadow, think they're only as big as a stamp huh?

they do look like stamps, and if you blow up the picture you can make out the word stamp in the left hand corner.

That's what I was trying to read on the corner of these nickel ones. I could make out some letters but not all. What reads on the corner of yours Larry is the same as these.

So did you buy this Larry? If so, do you remember what you paid for it? I just bought these above for $15. Would be nice if they were silver, but I seriously doubt they are.

Image_1131crop.jpg

You changed your pic. I liked the one of the whole stamp too. Can you re-post it Larry. I'd like to see it again.

There are some depicting silver coins but they aren't silver. I believe they are cu/ ni but they are quite heavy. There are at least about 15 different but It wouldn't be surprising if there are a lot more.

I believe they were made in the early '80's.

You now, the metal in the 1942-P War Nicklel looks a bit different than the 1938 Jefferson metal...perhaps they are the same compositon as the coinage. (shrug)

I have seen them before but I do not remember much about them...still pretty neat. I thinbk you paid a fair price for them Bobby.

You now, the metal in the 1942-P War Nicklel looks a bit different than the 1938 Jefferson metal...perhaps they are the same compositon as the coinage. (shrug)

I have seen them before but I do not remember much about them...still pretty neat. I thinbk you paid a fair price for them Bobby.

Thanks Woody. They are supposedly made from the same materials of the coin of that era. Hopefully all will be nickel at least and maybe the wartime jeff will be silver. I'll at least know if it is different from the others by the sound anyway.

Yes I remember them, they came out about the same time I started collecting. If I remember they were to show all the silver and base metal major coin types and they were supposed to be made in the same alloy as the coin. (They didn't do the gold type coins because at that time ownership of gold was still restricted.) I don't know how many of the types were actually issued.

Here is a wikpedia reference desk answer from 12/26/2006 on the subject of numistamps

United States Numistamps

A family member gave me two albums that contain United States Numistamps. I have never seen a numistamp before and would appreciate any information that is available. The first page in one of the albums has only the following information: United States Numistamps, 300 West National Road, Vandalia, Ohio 45377. These are metal stamps to commemorate U.S. coins, they about 3/4" X 2" and about 1/8" thick. The ones representing 1/2 cents and up are copper plated, others appear to be nickel, silver, and a gold? color plated. The two albums together weigh almost 10 lbs. The most recent date on the numistamps appears to be 1972. Are these rare? A search of Numistamps, coins, and stamps provides very little information. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Well, I did not do much better but what these seem to be was an effort by Mort Reed, an author of books on coin collecting, in the 1970's to create a line of collectibles by making replicas of coins. You obviously know what they look like but for the rest of us - here are some eBay pics. They certainly seem rare* in that eBay has no current listing and few older listings.

o They are not rare and are available when found for around $1 each. People have tended to just store them away and not bother selling them as they do not sell well. Many $1 auctions have went with no bids

They originally sold for $4.50.

Yes I remember them, they came out about the same time I started collecting. If I remember they were to show all the silver and base metal major coin types and they were supposed to be made in the same alloy as the coin. (They didn't do the gold type coins because at that time ownership of gold was still restricted.) I don't know how many of the types were actually issued.

Actually, they did do gold coins - and I have some! They were not struck on gold, however, just "gold tone" metal. I have a small box that contains perhaps thirty of these metal things, and yes, they are heavy. I always assumed they were made of plated steel, or something like that.

I looked at the pics a little closer after reading Woody's post and the War Nickel one does look to be different than the others. They may be plated or something of the same metal. I thought for $15, it wasn't a bad deal to have. I think they are kind of neat. After I get them, I may just try to find some kind of little display holder to put them in or make one. You are right also Conder, these actually came out in a 114 or 116 piece set back then.

Just got an email from the seller saying he shipped these out today and that he had a couple extra ones that he threw in. Hope they're different. Pretty cool seller!!

Well I got these in today. The seller sent me two extra one's. The Shield with Rays and the Type 2 Buffalo. Well I know these are not silver. They look more like stainless, but as you can notice the jefferson one, it has some toning :o. What's up with that?? Do you think they could be made of nickel? Here they are.

Figured out what was messed up on my photoshop. All in color now!

BTW, these all weigh from 47-52grams ea.

NumistampsPlaquecolor.jpg

I was hoping someone may have chimed in on this to see if these might be Nickel or if there's a way to determine what they are made of???