• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on grading

26 posts in this topic

Im having some trouble distinguishing between the higher grade coins that I have and the book definitions just dont cut it.

If I could get opinions on what this could possibly grade out as, it would be appreciated.

57871-dime2.JPG.b6802057b6f6ea3699e4a54226e1deca.JPG

57872-dime1.JPG.ac50fe4140117b622fa6c43d9399ef73.JPG

Is there any wa you can get a straight on picture for us? hm This angle makes it nearly impossible to hazzard a guess at a grade. (shrug)

Is there any wa you can get a straight on picture for us? hm This angle makes it nearly impossible to hazzard a guess at a grade. (shrug)

If I go straight on I cant get light. Unless I just dont know how to taker pictures, which may be the case.

Better pics would be of help, but from those it looks to be an AU55-58 or so...

Don't feel bad, I had the same problem at first. It's been a year and I've gotten alittle better(I think) but they are still not great.

when you scan it about 1200 usualy shows much of the details.. if you have the one click photo fix options it will show "all" the blemishes

scaned at 300

1919300.jpg

scaned at 600

1919600.jpg

scaned at 1200

19191200.jpg

scaned at 2400

19192400.jpg

dooly :devil:

It's an AU that appears to have been cleaned and might have some rim damage near the T of UNITED.

you need to join photobucket.com for hosting pics. it is free and very easy.

join

upload

copy the line and paste it in the thread/reply :)

From what I'm seeing is EF to low AU grade but the rim damage would probably cause it to bodybag. What books are you using for reference? ANA Grading standards and Photograde are 2 very good books.

a BB or Body Bag is a coin with some sort of defect that keeps it from grading. it will come back in a flip with SHORT description.

What does 'bodybag' mean?

Im using the 2008 redbook by RS Yeoman

First off, bodybag means that the TPg will not grade the coin. Most circumstances will be due to cleaning, improper color, and damaged coins such as deep scratches and rim issues.

Second off, if you're wanting to proper ly learn to grade a coin, you may want to invest in "ANA Grading Standards" and "Photograde". These are 2 very helpful books. As far as I'm concerned, the redbook is ok to collect but worthless for any other reason.

The "bodybag" term is what people commonly call "no grade" coins - coins that Third Party Grading companies (TPGs) like NGC won't grade for one reason or another (NGC has a document on their site about "No Grade coins."

Anyway, IF a coin is meaningful to you, and you want it encapsulated anyway, regardless of it's problem status, or if you aren't sure if it might have a problem, one good way to deal with it is to submit the coin to NCS (Numismatic Conservation Services), NGC's sister company, in the same building. They have a different submission form.

Anyway, you submit the coin to NCS, and instruct them if you would like the coin to be "conserved," if possible. If conservation is not possible, they will either sent to coin to NGC for grading if it is NOT a problem coin, of IF it IS a problem coin, grade it in one of TWO methods, according to how you instruction and which fee you pay:

1. Encapsulate the coin in an NCS holder and indicate that it is "Genuine"

2. Encapsulate the coin in an NCS holder and indicate a "details grade" such as AU - details. They won't assign a numerical grade, just the letter.

They will also note the problem on the holder (such as whizzed, or cleaned, scratched, or whatever the case may be).

For coins which may be a key to your collection, or just special to you, it's a nice way to preserve them.

For instance, a number of years ago I came across a lot of three Hawaiian silver coins. I ended up submitting them to NCS for conservation. While I learned that one (maybe two, I forget) of them were problem coins, the other(s) were conserved, likely resulting a a slightly higher grade coin than I might otherwise have obtained. Because few of the Hawaiian dimes, quarters, half dollars and dollars were even minted in the first place, and many were melted, the remaining known mintages, IMHO, are worth preserving and were precious to me (and to my collection). So, I had the other coin(s) encapsulated by NCS with a "details grade" noting the nature of the problem, whatever it was.

I've actually seen Hawaiian coins in NCS holders selling on eBay, despite their problems, because presumably, people at least know what they are getting, and because of their relative scarcity. They didn't command the same prices as their NGC graded counterparts, understandably, but they fared better than some raw coins being auctioned at the same time.

Personally, I think the NCS services are underutilized. They've worked wonders with some Morgans for me, as well as some gold coins, and others. They're new program for modern coins for a flat rate which includes NGC grading sounds like a REALLY good deal for coins that quality (I think it's 1970 and later).

Obviously, having every coin put into an NCS holder could get pricey, so only the coins which matter to you for your collection may be worthy of consideration, but it's something definitely worth looking into. The handy part of sending the coins to NCS first is that they just transfer the coins over to NGC, and then send ALL your coins back to you at once, saving you the cost of multiple submissions (i.e. sending your coins to NGC, getting the "bodybag/no grade," then submitting the coin to NCS). As I recall, IF you send the bodybag from NGC, NCS will give you a $1 or $2 credit, but that doesn't even cover your postage as a rule, so while it HELPS, submitting to NCS first seems the most cost-effective way, for important coins in your collection anyway -- and you may just get coins to "upgrade" resulting in an even MORE VALUABLE coin!

I've had MS62s turn into MS65s! Though, in fairness, I've had MS63s STAY MS63s, so it's hit or miss.

What does 'bodybag' mean?

Im using the 2008 redbook by RS Yeoman