• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1813 Haiti Republique Silver 25 Centimes

8 posts in this topic

Howdy fellow coin peeps,

I purchased this from someone I've purchased several other "world" coins from in the past, and I trust. While he attests to its authenticity, I'd like to have it officially authenticated/graded and wondered if NGC is capable of authenticating/grading this?

Ribbit :)

haiti25centimesnb3.jpg

Thanks for a prompt reply. :) I'll gather up the other ones I need authenticating/grading/conserving and send them in shortly. :)

Ribbit :D

I'd like to know what the object is that the denomination is within? The "ball with a fuse" looking thingy?

Ps: I will post new pics once I receive it back from NGC. :D

I found out what that "ball with a fuse" thingy is. It's a snake! This coin is a 1815 "Snake Type" 25 Centimes. I found out from a dealer in Puerto Rico that deals in these. I messaged him after I found the 1817 & 1818 25 Centimes he had for sale and asked for intel. Figured he would be a good source for info and he was.

Ps: Just learned it isn't an 1815 but 1814. Independence was in 1804 and including that year, the XI portion, of the AN XI, is the years after Independence (1804 + (11 - 1) = 1814).

I see it is a snake now....when you first asked I saw that it was symmetric so I thought it was an earring (or nosering)..and the top area was the clasp.... doh!

It's amazing how peeps can see something different while looking at the same thing, like cloud formations. :D I would've never guessed a snake. I surmise it's pertaining to something historical or a tradition of the locals. I'm going to have to polish up on my Haitian History so as to better understand this coin, unless we happen to have a member who's a Haitian Historian and willing to edumacate me. (thumbs u

Ps: I have a request for a Mod - please edit this post's title and change the 1813 to 1814 so it's correct. I thought this was an 1813 when I posted it but learned differently afterwards and don't want anyone to go about their lives thinking that which is wrong and I'm to blame for it. :blush: