• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey, new to the coin community.

53 posts in this topic

Ive recently inherited about a thousand coins from my grandfather who split his collection between myself and my brother.

Being new to coins, Ive been trying to educate myself as far as what they are worth and how to care for them. I did some research and it seems that I have a coin that is not listed in the 2008 red book.

I have a 1930 D buffalo nickel, which makes me think that it it may be counterfeit or maybe a mint error?

Does anyone know anything about this or can help me identify it?

If you need pics, I can provide them, its just hard for me to get a great quality picture, as I dont have a very good camera.

Thank you.

Chances are that it's a 1930 S with the "S" squished to make it look like a "D". Otherwise, it must be a counterfeit.

This is a good place to grow in the hobby. People are friendly and helpful so don't be bashful to ask away...

Welcome to the boards!! :acclaim:

Hey, Baseman, welcome to the neighborhood! I'm not a Buff collector so I can't help you with it, but there are many on these boards who can provide a wealth of information for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Just remember that there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Yes, photos will help with any coin about which you have questions. Try to size them somewhere between 400x400 to 800x800 so they are not too, too small to pick up details, but not so large that you have to scroll across the screen to see an entire post. Take your photos straight on rather than at an angle so as not to distort the actual appearance of the coin, and use a tripod if you have one. Adequate lighting is another issue that you just have to play with to see what gets the best results.

Stick around and have fun!

Chris

Welcome aboard! :hi:

It's a fun hobby and there are many helpful people on these boards. If you have any questions with Franklins I'd be happy to help.

Ok, here we go. It was frustrating trying to get the right lighting. I also dont like having to upload the images to an outside site to get them on here. Oh well.

Hopefully, yall can make something out of this. If you take a look at a regular S, it doesnt look close to that. Perhaps the die is just blotted or something?

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=30dimegp6.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backdimerl8.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20020101image0026fh9.jpg

Welcome to the boards, Baseman! :hi:

Sorry, but I can't make out the mintmark well enough to offer any kind of opinion... (shrug)

BTW, you can attach photos to your post by using the File Manager at the bottom of the reply page.

Welcome Baseman. I can not see the coin well enough to determine the MM. There are several expert Buffalo nickel collectors on this forum that will or can help you when they see your post. Be patient.

First off, welcome to the forum.

Now, it appears and you can see that for yourself, your camera focused on the away edge of the Buffalo and blurred the area in question.

EZ_E is correct in that it would be of tremendous help to the experts if there was a clear image of the Mint Mark.

Congrats on getting all those coins as an inheritance...it will bring many hours of joy sorting through all the neat coins. Hopefully there was an even split. ;)

Yeah, I figured that. Im working with a 2.0 megapixel camera from like 2003. I dont believe I can get any closer then that without everything blurring out. And when I put the camera closer to the coin, I lose my light. I dont think putting it closer is the best way, but I cant zoom in far enough. Any tips, other then a new camera?

Anyway, they are already sorted and in cellophane protective sleeves with what they are written on them, etc, and then put it respective cigar boxes in dated order with the rest of the type. Thats how my grandpa kept them.

This seems like a very interesting hobby!

Yeah, I figured that. Im working with a 2.0 megapixel camera from like 2003. I dont believe I can get any closer then that without everything blurring out. And when I put the camera closer to the coin, I lose my light. I dont think putting it closer is the best way, but I cant zoom in far enough. Any tips, other then a new camera?

Anyway, they are already sorted and in cellophane protective sleeves with what they are written on them, etc, and then put it respective cigar boxes in dated order with the rest of the type. Thats how my grandpa kept them.

This seems like a very interesting hobby!

Cellophane sleeves? Is the sleeve thin & brittle or soft & pliable? If it is soft & pliable, they might contain PVC which can damage coins.

Chris

They are thin and brittle, it came on a roll...actually heres a link to it.

http://www.papermart.com/templates/47-0-10.htm

I wanted to be sure we weren't talking apples to oranges. The only drawback to the cellophane that I can see is that it is so thin that coins could acquire abrasions, scrapes, etc. by rubbing against one another from even the slightest movement in the storage boxes.

If you wanted something that might afford a little more protection, you could use safety flips. You can also get paper inserts to identify each coin. A good source for these is JP's Corner www.jpscorner.com

Chris

Welcome baseman. As all have stated the mintmark of your pic is blurred. The Buff doesn't look counterfiet tho' so I would be willing to bet that it is a S. Looks like it has some considerable rim wear and the lower part of the S may be worn and making it look like a possible D.??

I gotcha, but I dont plan on moving them very much if at all. Thats a good suggestion but it would a massive undertaking to change the way they are stored, as there are so many.

I will try desperately to get a better picture of the mint mark. I can see there is a part of it that makes the half circle on the right hand side like a D would do. Im not biased, but Im probably hoping in vain.

I gotcha, but I dont plan on moving them very much if at all. Thats a good suggestion but it would a massive undertaking to change the way they are stored, as there are so many.

You wouldn't have to make the change for all of them, just those that are particularly valuable.

Chris