• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why does this penny have...

7 posts in this topic

It's a common problem with the adhesion of the copper layer on the zinc core. Those are tiny air pockets underneath the copper skin.

James is just being kind. Lincoln had gas.

Chris

It's a problem with the plating process when the copper coat is applied to the zinc. Back when I was in the market for a 1983 reverse doubled die cent, I saw one of those coins where the copper had actually chipped off the surface of rather large bubble. Knowing the chemical reactivity of zinc, I thought to my self that one could easily put this coin in an envelope, become careless about its storage and find that you would have an envelope full of dust in 10 to 20 years’ time.

This was a common problem up until about 1985 or 1986. After that, there was significant improvement. While you can still find some bubbling on more recent dates, it's nothing like it was back in the early to mid 80's. :)

This was a common problem up until about 1985 or 1986. After that, there was significant improvement. While you can still find some bubbling on more recent dates, it's nothing like it was back in the early to mid 80's. :)

Correct. After the mint switched composition in 1982, they had a heck of a time with the plating process for the first few years.