• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

your favorite usa federal coin is?? remember you can pick only one

30 posts in this topic

A nice frosty, nine inch mirrored Franklin proof half dollar. Struck onto a planchet that turns it into an endless abyss, simply gorgeous!

A nice frosty, nine inch mirrored Franklin proof half dollar. Struck onto a planchet that turns it into an endless abyss, simply gorgeous!

I agree. The Franklin Half, in my opinion, is the best of coins and the worst of coins. An ultra cameo, deep mirrored proof is one of the most gorgeous coins there is. A Franklin anything but is blah to me, even most of the toned mint set pieces.

However, to answer more along Mike's intentions then I think that the Draped Bust design is the best followed by the Gobrecht Dollar design.

My choice is the 1792 half disme. It was the first Federal coin to be issued under the laws set forth by the Coinage Act of 1792, and it was made from silver coins supplied by George Washington. Thomas Jefferson supervised the striking of these coins, and he and Washington handed them out personally. Washington in his 1792 message to Congress described them as "a small beginning in coinage."

1792HDObv-1.jpg1792HDRev.jpg

With a history like that is any wonder that this has become an expensive item? Scott Travers had the brass to label this coin as "overrated" in one of his books about underrated and overrated coins. It just goes to show that sometimes when you write something for shock value that you can end up blowing smoke in your own face.

Tough one, but I'll go with one of my first loves... and if you ask ant or anyone who has known me for a while... they know I love cameo franklins... I have tons of raw stuff. Anyhow, I'll go with ...

The Mercury Dime!

My choice is the 1792 half disme. It was the first Federal coin to be issued under the laws set forth by the Coinage Act of 1792, and it was made from silver coins supplied by George Washington. Thomas Jefferson supervised the striking of these coins, and he and Washington handed them out personally. Washington in his 1792 message to Congress described them as "a small beginning in coinage."

1792HDObv-1.jpg1792HDRev.jpg

With a history like that is any wonder that this has become an expensive item? Scott Travers had the brass to label this coin as "overrated" in one of his books about underrated and overrated coins. It just goes to show that sometimes when you write something for shock value that you can end up blowing smoke in your own face.

I like the account that you have given about it, too, in spite of the scrawny chicken. :baiting:

Chris

:headbang:

Picture019-2-1.jpg

Picture019-2-2.jpg

frank-2.jpg

August Saint Gauden's Indian gold eagle design with Bela Pratt's incuse half eagle as second place, when nice.

Lot2582.jpgLot2582Rev.jpg

I love the Franklin half, and actually prefer MS to proof. If you don't like that, then I am also a big fan of the CBH. A very attractive design, coupled with the heft of a half dollar and the history of 200 years of America behind them, make this a very appealing coin.

Oofta...

I'm going to need some time to decide this one. There's so many cool coins out there with so much history and artistry that makes my decision very tough.

I'm not sure if commemoratives are too unique for this posting but my favorite is the Connecticut Tercentenary half dollar. The Charter Oak on the obverse is very striking. The depth of the trees leaves is excellent! I wish I could include a picture of my own coin but I don't own one of yet.

I love the early 50¢ piece and the whole Renaissance coinage (early 1900s), but if I had to settle on ONE coin, it would the the St. Gaudens double eagle AS ORIGINALLY ENVISIONED BY THE ARTIST (roman numerals, ultra-high-relief, no "motto," etc.).

I agree Chad, a very tough choice especailly when there's so much to collect that is so nice. I do like the Morgans though!!

The Liberty Cap Large Cent . . . especially the high relief 1794.

Liberty cap large cent is my choice. By high relief do you mean the head of 93? --Jerry

The Liberty Cap Large Cent . . . especially the high relief 1794.

Liberty cap large cent is my choice. By high relief do you mean the head of 93? --Jerry

Yes, and possibly the head of 94, too; but the head of 95 is flatter and less impressive. Still even the later lower relief version is a beautiful design.