• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think I'll have one for the (Rey) road.

14 posts in this topic

A couple of days ago one of our customers mentioned that he was a retired railroad engineer. In turn, I told him that one of my friends, here, collected railroad medals. Earlier this evening he brought this in to show me. I asked if he wanted to sell it, and now it belongs to me (at least for the time being).

I don't know if it is silver but it sure looks like it and has the heft to go with it. It is 38.5mm. I held it in one hand and a Morgan in the other, and they are just about the same weight.

I'll drink to that!

Chris

57792-_MG_2174.JPG.a1e739865454c974ec293417dd8c8023.JPG

57793-_MG_2175.JPG.25f84877ecc5e053f95e18995c2b81c7.JPG

Rey will be knocking soon I'm sure....you don't know anyone who worked as a mate on an America's Cup sailer do you?... :devil:

Rey will be knocking soon I'm sure....you don't know anyone who worked as a mate on an America's Cup sailer do you?... :devil:

No, but Ted Turner would. I don't even know if he is still living, though. If not, try Jane.

Chris

Chris,

That is a nice Safety Medal. I like it. So you mentioned a "game", what would that be?

Rey

Okay! First, you must put out of your mind that the medal belongs to me. Pretend that you are browsing eBay, and you came across it offered by an unknown seller (with good feedback, return policy, etc., of course). Now, you decide that you would like to have it, so you place a bid appropriate for what you think it will take to win the auction.

Don't worry! I will sell it to you for exactly what it cost me + shipping, but I'm just curious to know what your sense of it's value is to you, and you alone. Let's just say that it is a way for me to get to understand you better.

By the way, the medal is housed in an airtight disc and the hinged, display box is blue velvet with a satin-like lining. On the inside of the lid on the lining is the Northwestern logo. The display box is in a protective sleeve similar to one the Mint might use for their commems, but it is white and unmarked.

Please don't try to make a lowball offer just because you know I'm a nice guy. lol

Remember, you're supposed to forget all about that. I'm a complete stranger to you. So, if you want to play, you can have a go at it right here, or PM me if you would rather keep it private.

Chris

Chris,

The case sounds so nice as well. Based on what can tell, if I were to see this on ebay bid on it, plus given the dimensions you provided, I wsould offer as my first bid in order to win it at $18.00

Rey

Chris,

The case sounds so nice as well. Based on what can tell, if I were to see this on ebay bid on it, plus given the dimensions you provided, I would offer as my first bid in order to win it at $18.00

Rey

For a while there, I was beginning to wonder if you didn't like my game rules. I was just about to send you a PM.

Okay, so I'm left with a little egg on my face. Sometimes one might decide to "take a flyer" on something, and the outcome isn't quite as expected. Most of the time, you just chalk it up to experience. Well, that's what I'm doing, here. You see, Rey, I was trying to guesstimate what you might be willing to pay for this medal, and I guessed wrong. I thought that you might offer $25 for it, and that is what I paid for it.

The funny part is that my first instinct was to offer $20 for it. I knew I should have listened to that little voice in my head. I wouldn't have been that far off. Like I said before, this helps me to gain a better understanding of your thinking which I may be able to put to use the next time the situation arises.

So, you can have it for $23 which includes USPS Priority Mail. That's okay! The $7 difference is merely what I am paying for my ongoing education. I'll put it in the mail on Saturday if that's all right with you.

By the way, if you had told me that you would have been willing to pay more than $25, I would not have sold it to you for one cent more than my cost (plus shipping, of course.)

Now, you will have to excuse me while I go wash my face. lol

Chris

Chris,,

The $18.00 would have been my initial bid on ebay. It is entirely possible that I would have gone a little higher in order to get the medal. $25.00 is not that unreasonable I don't think, at all. You do not have egg on your face as far as I am concerned. I will pay you what you paid for it plus shipping. That is fair.

Rey

Chris,,

The $18.00 would have been my initial bid on ebay. It is entirely possible that I would have gone a little higher in order to get the medal. $25.00 is not that unreasonable I don't think, at all. You do not have egg on your face as far as I am concerned. I will pay you what you paid for it plus shipping. That is fair.

Rey

If you insist!

"You're a good man, Rey Brown."

Chris (thumbs u

PS. I've been house-hunting all morning, and I have to go to work shortly, so I won't be able to drop it at the Post Office until tomorrow.

I'd pay melt plus 10% for something like this.

Victor, there are no markings to indicate that it is, in fact, silver. I merely stated that it has a similar "heft" to a Morgan $ in a hand-to-hand comparison. Anyway, Rey's offer was much more generous.

Chris