• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Mint Produced Some Big Coinage!

29 posts in this topic

Let’s Face it, The Morgan & Peace Dollars were some BIG COINS!

x1.jpg

Morgan Silver Dollar

26.73 grams or .9428 oz.

Diameter 38.1 mm or 1.5 inches

x6.jpg

Peace Dollar

26.73 grams or .9428 oz.

Diameter 38.1 mm or 1.5 inches

Let’s look at some of the other United States coinage in perspective.

x4.jpg

Seated Liberty Half Dime

1.3 grams or .0458 oz.

Diameter 15.9 mm or .6260 inches

Morgan/Peace Dia, is 2.4 times larger and 20.585 times by weight.

x9.jpg

Mercury Head Dime

2.50 grams or .0882 oz.

17.9mm or .7047 inches

Morgan/Peace Dia. is 2.13 times larger and 10.69 times by weight.

x10.jpg

Washington Quarter (pre-1965)

6.3 grams or .2222 oz.

Diameter 24.3 mm or .9567 inches

Morgan/Peace Dia. is 1.57 times larger and 4.243 times by weight

x11.jpg

Walking Liberty Half Dollar

12.5 grams or .4409 oz.

Diameter 30 mm or 1.1811 inches

Morgan/Peace Dia. is 1.27 times larger and 2.138 times by weight.

The only one that comes close, is the 40% silver Eisenhower Dollars

24.6 grams or .8677 oz.

x12.jpg

Diameter, a whopping 38.5 mm or 1.5157 inches but the Morgan/Peace still out weighs it by .0715 oz., about the weight of a Mercury Dime but is still .989 larger than the Morgan or Peace Dollar.

Now then, I’m not even going to mention the Trade Dollar!

Well, just a little bit.

The Trade Dollar weighs in at a hefty 27.22 grams or .9601 oz.

With a diameter of 38.1 mm or right at 1.500 in the Trade is the same diameter as the Morgan/Peace but weighs .0173 oz more (.5 grams)

The Trade Dollar was never meant to be legal U.S. tender and was not circulated in the United States. However, in 1982, all coins were declared legal tender with no particular regard to their status prior to recodification.

Note: I only chose silver coins that circulated in commerce, there are variations in the weights within each series so everything is + (plus) or -(minus) a few 10ths here and there.

Corrections to valuations/calculations welcome.

And people complain that dollar coins today are heavy ...

So true. I do wonder though, if they were used as much then as they are now. They still had currency back then, I would imagine this still kept the change out of the pockets.

Yes, leather "pouches" not purses were carried in mens vest pockets or around the neck on leather straps in order to deter would be pick-pockets.

Ladies used to wear a form of garter around their thigh to protect a few bits of silver along with a Derringer on the other!

Yes, leather "pouches" not purses were carried in mens vest pockets or around the neck on leather straps in order to deter would be pick-pockets.

Ladies used to wear a form of garter around their thigh to protect a few bits of silver along with a Derringer on the other!

Ah yes, the good ole' days! lol

If you want to see a large coin, take a look in the Goldberg Millinium Collection under Spain. The 50 Reales must have been one of the largest coins ever minted I'm sure there are some larger (such as that gimmick Canadian gold Maple Leaf) but this one would weight about six times a silver dollar. The 8R was the size of the silver dollar.

wile_gif-1-1.jpgsam_surprised.gif1e1c7450.jpg

derringer.jpg

Carson City and the Wild Wild West!

hmmm Wonder what the reverse of that one looks like :)

I can't imagine having to carry a pocketful of these dollar coins, without a hefty pair of suspenders!

True, but why would you do so? Back in the 1880's a roll of silver dollars would be around 10% of the average working mans annual income. No I don't know about you, but I don't normally walk around with 10% of my annual income in my pocket in cash.

I can't imagine having to carry a pocketful of these dollar coins, without a hefty pair of suspenders!

True, but why would you do so? Back in the 1880's a roll of silver dollars would be around 10% of the average working mans annual income. No I don't know about you, but I don't normally walk around with 10% of my annual income in my pocket in cash.

Even as late as 1950, many folks made just $1 per hour in a career full-time job. A dollar then was about like having twelve or so dollars in your pocket today, so if you were carrying just three silver dollars and a bit of small change, that was enough for a nice night out, including dinner, a movie and cab fare.

Was that used as the ships anchor? :grin:

How much does that paper weight medallion weigh?

You know, the one thing I don't have is a scale. Yet! But I know someone who does. I'll get back to you on that.

Chris

makes me wanna go watch one of my Spaghetti Western Collection....just the mental image of a garter and a derringer gets my blood going..

here's a medal Chris found for me at FUN...compared with a Modern dollar coin...

57808-MVC-793S.JPG.f95b8475bfd2edd0fa8a2ff3119b44ff.JPG

57809-MVC-794S.JPG.b35a51634d5b9f6d31a0aeb4edb05877.JPG

And, I do like that medal. If Talisman had had two of them at the show, I would have bought one for myself. I probably could have gotten the price a little lower for a multiple purchase and saved you a few more bucks. C'est la vie!

Chris

As for US coins, don't forget the Pan-Pac commemorative half union! 83.59 grams of 0.900 fine gold!

the price was great Chris and I still owe you a solid for whenever I can help you out with something.....

Question: if you were around during the period of Silver Dollars and Gold dollars, which would you prefer to carry?...I see ups and downs for both...

the price was great Chris and I still owe you a solid for whenever I can help you out with something.....

Question: if you were around during the period of Silver Dollars and Gold dollars, which would you prefer to carry?...I see ups and downs for both...

A 40 cal. Glock! lol

I probably would have opted for the gold because it was smaller.

Chris

On the other end of the spectrum, some countries went in the other direction!

Gold Fanam

small.jpg

These measure about 2 millimeters .03 to .04 grams and were minted between the 11th and the 13th Centuries.

note: I do not own this minature coin. Google for a closer look at these smallest of coins.

Shucks, Woody, they ain't all that big!

Chris lol

The USS Yorktown, another carrier, is anchored in Charleston. Man that is a huge son of a gun. It's a museum now, and it takes a full day to crawl all over that thing.

blueghost.jpg

USS Lexington (CV-16) was decommissioned on November 26, 1991 and now it's permanent home is Corpus Christi, Texas.

An Essex-class aircraft carrier, the Lexington was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2003.

Tokyo Rose, the propagandist during World War II, gave the USS Lexington the nickname of “The Blue Ghost” because several

Japanese reported the Lexington sank on four different occasions only to return and fight again. Therefore, the Lexington was

already deemed a ghost ship long before any of the present tourist could tell their tales.

Even the TV show "Ghost Hunters" did a 1 hour segment not to long ago...pretty spooky below decks.

On the other end of the spectrum, some countries went in the other direction!

Gold Fanam

small.jpg

These measure about 2 millimeters .03 to .04 grams and were minted between the 11th and the 13th Centuries.

note: I do not own this minature coin. Google for a closer look at these smallest of coins.

I almost bought one of these the other day. Censtles, the self-slabber of NNC on Ebay, had a few of them. I've bought coins from him before with good success, although I don't give a darn for the holder.

A pouch, not a purse-- look how cautious men get at the hint that ONCE UPON A TIME men carried anything close to purses. Just a LITTLE TOO FEMININE that they can't even use the word purse to describe something that is over a century old.

A sad state of affairs. Just a comment on the American male.

In Europe, where coins go to 5 Euros and more, even in England where 5pounds are circulation, and in Canada $2 coins have been used for YEARS, men having change purses is not abnormal. Doesn't make them any less MEN.