• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with this Jefferson nickel? Big pics...

5 posts in this topic

I'm thinking partial collar- it has a railroad rim. I've never seen an unstruck area, like on the obverse, though. Is this just a typical partial collar characteristic, or is there more to it? My first thought was that the coin was post mint damage, but the reverse says otherwise...

00nickelobv.jpg

00nickelrev.jpg

I'm not sure on this either. Looks double struck on the reverse. It almost looks like it was struck off-center and then double struck???

It looks like it was struck from a reverse misaligned die. (Note that AMERICA runs off of the edge.) Because there was no opposing die on the left side of the coin, this area on the obverse is extremely weakly struck. (Note however that none of the design on the obverse runs off the edge of the coin, characteristic of a misaligned die: appears off-center on one side only)

I'd agree with AegisIII, but I'd ad that the misalignment may also have affected the position of the coin in the collar, and that may have produced a partial collar effect on the obverse. The coin looks as if it's not perfectly round, but only you can best tell. You should also inspect the edge for the evidence of a partial collar strike. Nice find.

Hoot