• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 Silver Bald Eagle

12 posts in this topic

I just saw a 2008 Bald Eagle dollar graded MS69 in a NGC holder sell for 43 and change including shipping. How can this be possible? Regards, Rick.

This has been a trend for Modern Comms for a while it seems. Some of us jump on the bandwagon for the new Comm coming out, pay the top dollar, and then interest is not that great in them and they wind up re-selling for less. Alot of Comms are ending up this way. From what I've seen anyway!

I just saw a 2008 Bald Eagle dollar graded MS69 in a NGC holder sell for 43 and change including shipping. How can this be possible? Regards, Rick.

You're right that the seller is facing a monetary loss but the loss is usually more than made up by the MS/PR 70's grades received on bulk submissions. The 70's are sold at a tighty profit while the 69's are usually sold at wholesale.

Still doesn't make sense. Say you submit 100 coins and 30 came back as MS70 and the others MS69.......It's a wash. Now you sell them after paying egregious grading prices for under what you can buy them from the mint.....hey, you lose. The fact of the matter IMHO is the economy......Coins are down....it's a buyers market. Regards, Rick.

Unlike the 2006 SAE's, Modern Comms have not always been the best coins to buy in bulk, grade, and then re-sell anyway. There are very few Moderns that have shown to have an increase in value over time. Where the sense comes in, is don't invest in Moderns to make a profit.

Unlike the 2006 SAE's, Modern Comms have not always been the best coins to buy in bulk, grade, and then re-sell anyway. There are very few Moderns that have shown to have an increase in value over time. Where the sense comes in, is don't invest in Moderns to make a profit.

I'm not talking about a profit but a loss. Why would anyone sell a popular coin slabbed NGC 69 for less than he/she paid for the coin and grading? Are the MS70's worth the chance? MS70/MS69.......in 30 years it won't mean squat IMHO. There was a fairly low population of these coins minted....no? How is the mint going to sell out when the slabbed coins graded 69 are selling for less than what the mint is asking........THIS MAKES NO SENSE. Help me out here. Regards, Rick.

The seller is probably thinking the same thing Rick. If he had that many to sell, he may have made his profit in the beginning and now just selling for what he can before the demand gets less and the prices get lower just to get even.

......Coins are down....it's a buyers market.

Unfortunately, this isn't true for the coins/tokens that I'm currently buying.

I forget how much I paid for the Proof and Mint State Bald Eagle from the U.S. Mint.Say it was $25.00. I sent it in and have it graded at a cost of $12.50 on the Modern Tier. This is now a cost of $37.50 in my case.AT $43.00 or a six dollar profit consdering he might make out a few cents on postage then he has made about 15% on his investment. In my case I got back a MS70 and a PR69.

The fact that one person pays $43.00 and another pays $70.00 means nothing to me.People over pay all the time for various reasons. Take this 2008 Reverse of 07 on the S.A.E. People are paying $160.00 and up for a MS69 and the U.S. Mint says there are at least 47,000 of them out there.Not worth it to me.

When the 2008 Silver Eagle first came out there were people paying $299.00 for one in MS69 and they weren't a reverse of 07. Look at them now.