• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Auction-Fantasy Flight

10 posts in this topic

This post refers to Ebay auction number 120073062928, listing for raw 1939-D, rev. of '40, coin with (his) estimated grade of "MS67" and toned images that obscure surfaces. This an "estate coin" from man's collection who was born in 1917 (this makes the coin much more valuable!). Graded by seller and listed for BIN of $9855.00, no return if you "disagree with grade", otherwise (7) day return privilege (return privilege for what, pray tell??). No shipping cost given with a bunch of additional blah, blah about other wonderful finds in this man's estate. This guy should open his own TPG as a reward for his his grading presience and unmitigated gall!

WJ, thanks for the link. I do not know how to link HTML pages to this site.

It definitely is the same ol' stuff on Ebay, Bobby. No wonder I don't do much random buying there anymore, especially from clowns like this. Too much B.S. is on Ebay for me! I do buy on Ebay from some people that I trust.

WJ, thanks for the link. I do not know how to link HTML pages to this site.

It definitely is the same ol' stuff on Ebay, Bobby. No wonder I don't do much random buying there anymore, especially from clowns like this. Too much B.S. is on Ebay for me! I do buy on Ebay from some people that I trust.

I hear ya OT3. I haven't been able to shop for a while but I occasionally watch items that I'm interested in just to see what the market looks like. I get so tired of seeing auctions from estates, or some poor widows husbands collection. I don't mean to sound cold for those actual persons, but there is so much BS as you stated, that I just try to look for the simple and seemingly honest auctions. My perception of a good Ebay auction is a nice picture of the coin, reasonable shipping charges, and good feedback. Too much "Selling of the coin" tends to turn me off of an auction. Make it simple, show me what your selling, and let the bidding do the rest.

Believe me, there are only a couple of handfuls of 1939 MS-67 graded with Full Steps...and this ain't going to be one of them.

If those are Full Steps...I will sit here and eat my shirt.

If someone is willing to plunk down $9,855.00 BIN, (btw that's at least $7-8K too much) send it in and if it happens to get the FS designation, in ANY grade, I get to pick out the topping. (Chocolate or fudge...maybe carmel)

Those e-bay stores charge extra for a reserve or bin which is "non-refundable" if it doesn't sell, so what do they care what it is listed for, they have already made a few bucks on the listing. And if it happens to sell...cha-ching, 25% commission!

I would like to know what kind of offers they are getting?

Believe me, there are only a couple of handfuls of 1939 MS-67 graded with Full Steps...and this ain't going to be one of them.

If those are Full Steps...I will sit here and eat my shirt.

That's a fact! Far from FS!!

Good advice to all, Bobby. WJ, I know that there are only a handful of this date and mintmark. I collect Jeffs and have been looking for an affordable 1939-D rev. of '38 for awhile. One was listed by DLRC recently for over $1000., a little steep for me. However, $9800. is stupid money for what may be a raw clinker that may be cleaned and is not full steps with no return priviledge. I hope the seller has it glued in his bad memories scrapbook someday.

Good advice to all, Bobby. WJ, I know that there are only a handful of this date and mintmark. I collect Jeffs and have been looking for an affordable 1939-D rev. of '38 for awhile. One was listed by DLRC recently for over $1000., a little steep for me. However, $9800. is stupid money for what may be a raw clinker that may be cleaned and is not full steps with no return priviledge. I hope the seller has it glued in his bad memories scrapbook someday.

OT3,

I don't know what is going on with this coin, but you may be looking for an affordable example for awhile. The last two MS67's sold on Heritage went for $546 & $632 respectively. I recently got one on E-Bay for about the same money, but mine has great peripheral rainbow toning. I have posted the photo below which is terrible and does not begin to do this coin justice, but it is all I have to show you.

JeffersonNickel1939-DRevof38NGCMS67.jpg

Thank the Lord I don't collect designations like full steps because an MS66 FS for this date is over $1,000. I know there are only about 350 coins of this date in MS67, but this coin used to be a $100-$150 coin that is all of sudden trading for over $500. My only solace is that I would pay a significant premium for this coin regardless of the current trend due to the great toning. Who knows when another toned piece as nice as this one will hit the market.

Was the coin listed by DLRC an MS67 or an MS66 FS? If it was the latter, I think it was a really good price.

As for the :censored: wanker selling that coin on E-Bay. I hope some other wanker buys it, tries to return it, and then ends up suing the seller when he won't take it back. I was thinking about offering $9.85 just to see if I would get a response. lol

Beautiful coin Lehigh, I am very jealous! My only Jeffs that are that pretty are mostly War nickels because of the silver content. The coin listed by DLRC that I saw was a MS66, FS, PCGS from a collection that they were auctioning. It was a nice coin with ice blue toning and great surfaces despite DRLC's crummy pictures. DLRC can not seem to be capable of imaging most coins with decent renditions of toning, particularly gold toning. They are nearly as bad as Heritage.

A nice, clean, non-FS, MS66 with a decent strike and no die damage would suit my collection and present budget pretty well. I should be able to find one for about $150. My set of 1938-64 is about 39% complete, containing almost all coins minted before 1945-S. Average grade is MS66 with 19/39 FS coins. Set only ranks 34th, partially because of low completion percentage. I have focused on pre 1942 issues to complement my existing war nickel set. Jeff nickel prices are starting to get a little high. Collectors are finally starting to appreciate this long series with complexity of strike and step fullness issues.

I think it would be hilarious to offer this guy in the Ebay auction $9.85 and see if he becomes emotionally derailled.