• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Venturing into Hard Times Tokens

7 posts in this topic

I suppose that being a collector of Mississippi tokens & medals naturally arouses a curiosity about other types of exonumia, so recently I've been looking at CWT's, HTT's, etc., with an eye toward learning more about them. As I did with my first CBH, I decided to look for a cheap, possibly problem coin to purchase, to get a feel for the series. I located this sad little specimen for $7.99 (including shipping), so I took the plunge. :)

It has taken quite a beating in its life, but since it is such bad shape, I don't have any problem holding it in my hand and studying it - I can't hurt it too much, even if I accidently drop it.

The reverse is rotated about 20 degrees or so - the dent after "millions" on the reverse, which should show up left of the 1 in the date on the obverse, is actually the bump that caused the 7 to wear off. Someone also tried to scratch off "not," and there are numerous other problems as well, but for the price, I figure it is cheap education.

Thanks to some tips from Dave (MBA101), my Kodak point- and -shoot pics are improving, so, see what you think:

23096340000236Aa.jpg

23096350000233Aa.jpg

I tentatively (sp) attribute this one as HT 51, with 2 berries outside the wreath, and 6 inside, and the wavy stem to the right of the ribbon. Some one can correct me if that isn't right.

PS. Before someone responds with "nice token," let me put your mind at ease: I know it isn't nice, so you don't have to lie just to make me feel good. :grin:

PS. Before someone responds with "nice token," let me put your mind at ease: I know it isn't nice, so you don't have to lie just to make me feel good. :grin:

Okay, it's a sucky token and you shouldn't have bought it! ;)

Just kidding, of course. I kind of like it. It's got character!

How about I just say nice pictures then and call it even.

You would do well to buy a copy of Russ Rulau's Standard Catalog of Hard Times Tokens 1832 - 1844. If you don't want to spring for a new one you might find a used one for a few dollars. I would stay away from the first couple of editions because Mr. Rulau added a lot of improvements to the subsequent editions. But you will get to read a lot about the history of these pieces and read more about the tokens you might want to add to your colleciton.

I collect the political Hard Times tokens pretty extensively. I owned a number of the store cards years ago but finally lost interest in them.

You would do well to buy a copy of Russ Rulau's Standard Catalog of Hard Times Tokens 1832 - 1844. If you don't want to spring for a new one you might find a used one for a few dollars. I would stay away from the first couple of editions because Mr. Rulau added a lot of improvements to the subsequent editions. But you will get to read a lot about the history of these pieces and read more about the tokens you might want to add to your colleciton.

I collect the political Hard Times tokens pretty extensively. I owned a number of the store cards years ago but finally lost interest in them.

I have the 6th edition, Bill, but even it appears to have errors (as I believe you, or someone, had pointed out in a previous post).

Did I get the attribution right?