• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grades from my latest submission!

17 posts in this topic

Ok, I don't submit coins very often, but I had some bust halves and a classic head half eagle I wanted to submit with my 5 CS coupon, so here are some photos of the coins raw, guess what grades NGC assigned (I will reveal them later this weekend):

1808p50cobv2.JPG

1808p50crev2.JPG

1817p50cobv.JPG

1817p50crev.JPG

1831p50cobv.JPG

1831p50crev.JPG

1832p50cobv2.JPG

1832p50crev2.JPG

1834p5dobv.JPG

1834p5drev.JPG

Have Fun!

Yeah Chad, just remember on Busties, a rule of thumb, the earlier the date, generally the worse the strike. That said, the TPGs often ignore this rule!

For those who want an extra challenge, you can also guess the Overtons on the halves.

Interesting guesses so far, I think many of you will be surprised by the actual grades! I will post them tomorrow.

Ok, here are the results:

1808 (O-103) VF-25

1817 (O-113) EF-40

1831 (O-109) Improperly Cleaned

1832 (O-106) EF-40

1834 Obverse Damage

The gold has the slightest ding on the obverse which you can see between stars 8 and 9. As for the 1831, you got me on that one, if there was one I thought would be bagged for cleaning it would have been the 1817! Let me know your thoughts.

I wasn't really looking for BB issues myself. It's a shame that a coin being so old can be BB'd for a scratch. I have never understood this and would think it would just be a grade lower for it. After all, wouldn't a scratch be part of circulation wear and contact??

Jeff, I really like the 1808 coin. The obverse of the 1817 does have some marks suggesting cleaning. I can't see the 1831 well enough to judge. The 1832 looks to be a really nice specimen. I like the 1934 gold half eagle and considering it is gold and the coin's age and wear, I am surprised that NGC bagged it. They are all nice coins.

Thanks Charlie, I agree with their assessment on the 1808, it's a great VF original coin. The 1817 to me looks like it's obviously been dipped a long time ago, so it's retoned on the periphery and is actually a very nice coin (and I probably wouln't have gone XF, but what the heck). The 1831 is an enigma since I saw no evidence of cleaning under the heavy toning. The 1832 is a very nice coin with a lot of luster under the colorful toning, so I probably would have graded it 45 or 50. The half eagle is a nice coin and I will keep it in my collection, but such is the risks of third party grading!