• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roosevelt dime set, complete, toned. Value?

24 posts in this topic

I guess it's OK to post this question here. What's the value of a complete set of silver Roosevelts (1946 - 1964), all MS-66, encapsulated by NGC? Interesting that every coin is toned, some exceptionally toned, many with end-of-roll toning. Ideas?

Followup question - when is NGC going to offer a slab that will hold all the coins in one holder? 27_laughing.gif

Forgot to mention - a few of the coins look like "Full-bands", but these were certified before the designation was available.

James

they ain't worth much, and you should sell them to me very quickly....

See James?? I told you so. Those things ain't worth diddly-squat. I can't believe you fell for that Shop@Home smooth-talker's sales pitch. Geeez. Just ship those things off to Lucy and get them out of inventory. While you are at it, go ahead and send Lucy that order of 4,000 colorized Missouri State broccoli quarters that you bought from The Coin Vault last month.

A set of raw toned Roosies in a Wayte Raymond album sold for $2500 or so in the last Goldberg auction. A well known CU Board member purchased it and believed it was worth more slabbed. So I would guess yours is worth more. But if some are possible FBs why not get them looked at before selling them. It might be alot more!

Hope that helps,

Michael

$2500!?!?!??!!? By Jiminy, 48 coins, divided by 2500 dollar, thats......... 52 bucks per coin?!?!?!?!? MAN, I wish I owned these personally!

Or I guess you could look at it as .0192 dimes per dollar, so Lucy, for a buck, I'll shave the reeds off one of the coins and mail them to you! thumbsup2.gif

Seriously, is that a realistic value? I would not have guessed anywhere near that high.

James

A set of raw toned Roosies in a Wayte Raymond album sold for $2500 or so in the last Goldberg auction. A well known CU Board member purchased it and believed it was worth more slabbed. So I would guess yours is worth more. But if some are possible FBs why not get them looked at before selling them. It might be alot more!

Thanks alot! 893frustrated.gif

I think I paid $300 for a full BU (white) set including all the proofs, SMS and silver ones through 1999 I think (I think I bought it in 99 or 00), so it would seem that the $2500 figure sounds kinda reasonable, though the price per coin seems high, I would have thought maybe $25 or $39 per coin would sound about right.

When Billy Hall was alive and in SF, we did a lot of bizz. One show, I had a complete set of Roosies in BU and popped em out of the album for ease of transport and had the whole set in a dime tube.

I asked Bill if he was interested at bid ($50 I think) and he said no.

Not unless they came in a plastic holder.

welll..................

my tube was plastic.

He bought em an laffed his butt off.

A deal's a deal.

grin.gif

$2500!?!?!??!!? By Jiminy, 48 coins, divided by 2500 dollar, thats......... 52 bucks per coin?!?!?!?!? MAN, I wish I owned these personally!

Or I guess you could look at it as .0192 dimes per dollar, so Lucy, for a buck, I'll shave the reeds off one of the coins and mail them to you! thumbsup2.gif

Seriously, is that a realistic value? I would not have guessed anywhere near that high.

James

If I am not mistaken FB dimes are the next big thing.(As suggested by D.H.in his last report).

I guess it's OK to post this question here. What's the value of a complete set of silver Roosevelts (1946 - 1964), all MS-66, encapsulated by NGC? Interesting that every coin is toned, some exceptionally toned, many with end-of-roll toning. Ideas?

Followup question - when is NGC going to offer a slab that will hold all the coins in one holder? 27_laughing.gif

Forgot to mention - a few of the coins look like "Full-bands", but these were certified before the designation was available.

James

This is the post that Ira started about what I just postede. popcorn.gif

I don't do this often, however, I will write that the above post was fairly irresponsible. Why is that? Well, if I recall correctly, the purchaser was Mitch (wondercoin) and he stated that the set he bought might have had some of the finest toned Roosevelt dimes he had ever seen. Keep in mind that Mitch specializes in this material and has likely seen hundreds of Roosevelt sets in various stages of toning. In other words, if it were that nice in Mitch's trained eyes, then they were likely superb even for superb coins. No, I didn't make a written error in that last statement, that is how I wanted it to read.

To answer your question, who knows what they are worth? Exceptionally nice Roosevelt dimes in NGC and PCGS holders can be had for relatively little money. I have bought many coins like this off ebay and at shows and it is unusual for them to be more than $70 or so. Truly stunning coins, of course, cost more. However, they don't turn up much and when they do it is usually in the hands of someone who knows what they have.

Post pictures.

I would think that this Roosevelt set would have to be looked at, coin by coin. I have a MS66/67-PCGS/NGC set with some toned and most coins full band (although pre-certification for this). I did not pay nearly $50.00 per coin for the set. IMHO, the toning would have to be pretty nice on quite a few coins to exceed $2500. for the set.

I don't do this often, however, I will write that the above post was fairly irresponsible. Why is that? Well, if I recall correctly, the purchaser was Mitch (wondercoin) and he stated that the set he bought might have had some of the finest toned Roosevelt dimes he had ever seen. Keep in mind that Mitch specializes in this material and has likely seen hundreds of Roosevelt sets in various stages of toning. In other words, if it were that nice in Mitch's trained eyes, then they were likely superb even for superb coins. No, I didn't make a written error in that last statement, that is how I wanted it to read.

Tom --- I inspected these coins personally. There were a few to several coins that were "superb" not all of them. Matter of fact most were not even worth slabbing and rather unattractive. Did you personally viewed the coins, if NOT, I fail to see how you can call my post irresponsible. I know Mitch personally as well, and while I agree he has a well trained eye, I would think that even he would admit that not every coin in the collection was some work of art as you seem to make it sound. I stand by my post as I wrote it. It was a post to indicate what was the most I had seen paid for a set of toned Roosies. Dennis and James are not neophytes and do not need to be treated as though they are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who can't figure out how to find a reasonable figure for the set.

Shouldn't you also find the post quoting $50 or $300 irresponsible as well?

Here's the CU thread on Mitch's toned raw Roosie set

Michael

Tom --- I inspected these coins personally. There were a few to several coins that were "superb" not all of them. Matter of fact most were not even worth slabbing and rather unattractive. Did you personally viewed the coins, if NOT, I fail to see how you can call my post irresponsible. I know Mitch personally as well, and while I agree he has a well trained eye, I would think that even he would admit that not every coin in the collection was some work of art as you seem to make it sound. I stand by my post as I wrote it. It was a post to indicate what was the most I had seen paid for a set of toned Roosies. Dennis and James are not neophytes and do not need to be treated as though they are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who can't figure out how to find a reasonable figure for the set.

This is an interesting second post from you and I will sub-quote you so you know specifically what it is I am writing about: 893whatthe.gif

I inspected these coins personally.

Well, Michael, if you inspected the coins personally you might have shared that fact with us before posting your first response. As it stood, on its own and with no other information, there was no way someone would be able to know that you had personally inspected the set and no reasonable way that someone could have assumed you inspected the set. Perhaps you simply forgot to include the fact that you had looked them over carefully? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifAfter all, your post never even hinted at the fact that you had seen them previously.

Did you personally viewed the coins, if NOT, I fail to see how you can call my post irresponsible.

I never said I had inspected the coins. However, since you conveniently forgot to include the fact that you had closely inspected the coins, it was not an irresponsible statement on my part. In fact, it was responsible. Why is that, you may wonder? Well, we've all seen plenty of instances where someone asks the value of some coin and then they get a response that lists an auction price (or some other reference) for a very nice example and then that person thinks what they have or own is worth a like sum of money. In many instances, it is not worth as much as some superb example. Therefore, following that general guideline, I would have to think that the set, if brought to the attention of someone who does not specialize in that numismatic niche and who did not seem to think it were worth that much, could not really be worth that much. That's not being irresponsible, that's warning someone that they probably have not won the lottery simply because they happen to hold a ticket. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know Mitch personally as well, and while I agree he has a well trained eye, I would think that even he would admit that not every coin in the collection was some work of art as you seem to make it sound.

Yes, I know Mitch, but I never stated I knew Mitch in my post. Also, I never wrote that the set Mitch bought was full of masterpieces, that is, every coin was gorgeous. If you read it carefully you will see that I wrote that Mitch believed the set "might have had some of the finest toned Roosevelt dimes he had ever seen". In no place in that statement am I writing that the set was uniformly wonderful. I don't see how a careful reading of that statement could come up with an understanding that 100% of that set was superb. As an example, I recently bought a tremendous set of toned Roosevelts myself. It was raw and in a Capital Plastics holder and I have also told people that it might have some of the finest toned Roosevelt dimes I have ever seen. Does this mean they are all works of art? No, and it is wrong to think such. Does this mean that some of the coins are among the finest toned Roosevelt I have ever seen? You bet, that's why I wrote it that way and that's why I say it that way.

I stand by my post as I wrote it. It was a post to indicate what was the most I had seen paid for a set of toned Roosies.

That's funny, you state here that your post was only to tell Dennis and James what the most you ever heard of a Roosevelt set going for. Hmmm...is that consistent with your post? No. 893naughty-thumb.gif In your first post you wrote, and I will take the liberty of highlighting what you have just contradicted, "A set of raw toned Roosies in a Wayte Raymond album sold for $2500 or so in the last Goldberg auction. A well known CU Board member purchased it and believed it was worth more slabbed. So I would guess yours is worth more. But if some are possible FBs why not get them looked at before selling them. It might be alot more!" Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but, doesn't writing that "I would guess yours is worth more" and "It might be worth alot more" fly directly in the face of your latest assertion that "It was a post to indicate what was the most I had seen paid for a set of toned Roosies". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dennis and James are not neophytes and do not need to be treated as though they are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who can't figure out how to find a reasonable figure for the set.

Are you reading the same thread I am? If so, then you will realize that James asked "What's the value of a complete set of silver Roosevelts (1946 - 1964), all MS-66, encapsulated by NGC". Isn't that a self-admission that they might indeed need help to "figure out how to find a reasonable figure for the set" as you put it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif James follows that with this statement "Seriously, is that a realistic value? I would not have guessed anywhere near that high". Geez, I guess you might be right...that statement certainly reads as though James knows exactly what the set is worth! As far as treating them like insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, I would be delighted if you could show me where it is in my first post that I do so. I'm waiting, take all night...

Well, jtryka was stating a fact that he paid approximately $300 for his set. Therefore, there is no problem with that. Then Count_Erfit stated that he offered a set for $50 to someone and they declined. I fail to see what either has to do with the idea of telling someone their set was worth $2500. Please enlighten all of us.

If you have problems or issues with what I have written please make certain you read it carefully and respond with logic and examples or I will do this to you again. 893frustrated.gif

Well...that being said.. ( laugh.gif ) I bought a set raw (dates from 1946 to 1963) for $110 in 1996 and many (not all) had some great toning. Here are some:

10c-Raw.jpg

The set now might very well go for what jtryka paid for them...I don't know. But I think $110 was cheap.... laugh.gif

jom

I will do this to you again

You really need to get another hobby. flamed.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but, doesn't writing that "I would guess yours is worth more" and "It might be worth alot more" fly directly in the face of your latest assertion that "It was a post to indicate what was the most I had seen paid for a set of toned Roosies".

Yeah, this sentence makes alot of sense. Try again? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My post merely illustrated the actual/potential auction price for a set of raw toned Roosevelt Dimes, depending of course on the of full torch designations and color. Why are you not quite understanding that? And why are you suddenly going over the edge with your reponse?

Is it possible that set in question might be worth that or more? We don't know, we can't see the coins. We can't say for sure what's its worth. It might be $300 or it might be $2500 or more.

Any response to a thread such as this one without actually seeing the coins is irresponsible. So there you got me to admit it. BUT, I guess what I should have done was spent several days researching the past auction prices for the past 3 years for sets of toned Roosevelts on Heritage as well as what individual coins in the MS65-MS67 range have sold for on Ebay, Teletrade and Yahoo. I then would have computed the sales prices with and without buyer's premiums, ebay fees, shipping, insurance as well as packing costs and graphed it out for them, I would have also bound it in a nice leather portfolio, overnighted it them via FedEx and charged them $400 for my efforts. But since I figured they wanted some simple feedback on price range, I thought I'd share what I saw a complete set sell for at the Goldberg auction, since I knew they didn't attend it and might not be aware of it.

Michael

I'ts difficult for me to image slabs, but I'll try to photograph some of them when I get a chance.

BTW, it is a collection consigned to us. I was thinking of buying the collection myself, but if the value is that high, I doubt I can afford it.

James

You are not very effective, Michael, at sarcasm and hyperbole when you are trying to avoid addressing everything I wrote.

That written, if you have any issues with me regarding this thread you should probably send me a PM, though I don't expect one, so that we don't clutter up the board.

You are not very effective, Michael, at sarcasm and hyperbole when you are trying to avoid addressing everything I wrote.

That written, if you have any issues with me regarding this thread you should probably send me a PM, though I don't expect one, so that we don't clutter up the board.

sign-funnypost.gif

Just to clarify my previous post on this thread, and not be irresponsible (though I might still be accused of it), the set I bought was about $300 (it might have been $275 or $325, I don't remember). None of my coins were toned. My coins are raw and likely in MS-64 to MS-66 in range of grades (sorry, but for me a raw Roosevelt is either BU or Circulated, so I don't get caught up with the point differences, especially since I bought them just to enjoy). My set included all the regular issues from 1946-64, as well as the business strikes from 1965-1999 (or 2000), as well as the SMS coins, and all the proof-only issues, regular and silver, including the Type 1s and 2s of whatever year that was, 79 and/or 81 I think, and the 1996-W. So it pretty much has one of every Roosevelt minted I think. As for someone else saying theirs was $110, that seems about right to me for a 1946-64 business strike set in BU, I think I've seen them in the $100-150 range. What made my set more was the later proof issues, as it seems many of them sell for a dollar or two to upwards of $10-15. So just the clad proofs are 32 extra coins at an average of $3 each would be $96 more, and then the 8 silver proofs add another $40, and the SMS maybe another $3, and the 67 extra business strikes at face alone is another $7, so the difference between my $300 and the $110 set isn't really that great.

Lost in some of the fluff, of which I am guilty of participating in, is the fact that Roosevelt dimes are a nice set to put together. They are readily available in all manner of toning and also as blast white coins. Personally, I think that blast white Roosevelts look better than most blast white series. There is a fairly extensive range in the silver set and then the clad pieces really make the set large. There are also a plethora of proofs. It seems that many clad issues are fairly tough to find in high grade, much more so than the silver issues.

This is the kind of series with tremendous flexibility. smile.gif