• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does "Reverse Struck Through" mean?

11 posts in this topic

One on of my coins, scheduled for grading in "Quality Control" with NGC, it says "Reverse Struck Through"

Is this a good thing or bad? is this something that can make a coin more valuable or make it a no-grade?

Sometimes it can produce dramatic effects. If it was struck through grease and is just a typical strike through, it will lower the value significantly. If it is a really cool strike through, like wire or cloth, it will command a premium. I've also seen strike through bristles, and staples. If you got extremely lucky and the item that was struck through is actually retained, then you will garner a significant premium. I've seen wires embedded in the surfaces of coins, and I've also seen a piece of cloth retained.

Isn't that interesting! As I was getting the coins ready for shipping to NGC, I didn't even notice it! It was a large order, admittedly, with 100-125 coins, and as it was, I spent an entire afternoon, literally, just sorting the coins, taking them out of OGP, and completing the online submission forms in the various grading tiers, it was all very tedious, so I didn't examing each coin, even slightly. I mean for coins I hadn't seen in years, like the Leif Ericson two-coin Millennium set, joint issue from the US Mint and Iceland, I stopped and looked, and liked the coins.

For most of the coins, I just took them out of the packaging, stacked them, and moved along, getting them ready to wrap later, with their individual order forms.

Can't wait to see what mine looks like!

[font:Comic Sans MS]Here are some pictures

When you get your coin back, please post pictures!! :)

Struck thru Grease

strikethru.jpg

Struck thru Debris

struckthru.jpg

Struck thru Debris

debris.jpg

Struck thru Debris/Wire

wireordebris.jpg

Struck thru ???? Note the date, missing a number

2002-P.jpg[/font]

Now, doesn't that make you feel like each and everyone of your coins was thoroughly examined before an assigned grade was established?

The graders for the most part do a wonderful job, to many times we criticize what we don’t know.

and as it was, I spent an entire afternoon, literally, just sorting the coins, taking them out of OGP, and completing the online submission forms.......

Bully, I assume that you are aware that you do not have to remove coins from the Mint capsules. As a matter of fact, NGC encourages you to leave them intact, and they will remove them at no charge.

Chris

and as it was, I spent an entire afternoon, literally, just sorting the coins, taking them out of OGP, and completing the online submission forms.......

Bully, I assume that you are aware that you do not have to remove coins from the Mint capsules. As a matter of fact, NGC encourages you to leave them intact, and they will remove them at no charge.

Chris

Side note first -- those are excellent example photos, thanks for posting them!

Now to Chris, I do know that I don't have to remove coins from Mint capsults or from mint plyofilm. When I said that I spent the afternoon removing coins from OGP, I mean I was removing the box from the outer sleeve, then removing the capsule from the inner box with the COA and stuff. I left the coins in the Mint capsules or plyofilm in some cases.

Thanks for posting that though, it may help someone else who may not know this, and would remove coins from the capsules when it's erroneous, and could cause coins harm.

I got my coin and my photo returned from NGC -- it is not quite as glamorous as some of the previously posted "Struck thru" errors that were posted. (shrug)

Mine holder from NGC says "Mint Error" Reverse Struck Thru and that particular coin earned an MS66, lower than all the similar coins.

In case you can't see it in the photo (NGC took the photo, in case you are curious), the error is at about 2 o'clock, just above the roof of the house, and running up the word "TRUST."

I am guessing that this is the sort of error that detracts from the value of a coin, rather than adds to it? hm

[font:Comic Sans MS]Here are some pictures

When you get your coin back, please post pictures!! :)

58693-2525511_050o.JPG.00ddc48cbcba12cc24ab2531296f4baf.JPG

I am guessing that this is the sort of error that detracts from the value of a coin, rather than adds to it?

On the contrary, it can add to the value. Strike-through errors are more commonly found on circulating coinage, and those can and will sell for premiums to error collectors. It is not as common to find such errors on commems, and they may sell for slightly higher premiums.

Chris