• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting message from Ebay buyer

15 posts in this topic

First here is the auction: 1976 D 25C Washington Quarter NGC MS 67 NR

Now here is the message:

Hello

I recieved this coin today and I have to say that I am not very

happy with this purchase.

I would like to send this coin back for a

refund, no questions asked.

However, I will state that all of the fields

of this coin have scratches which indicate cleaning by abrasive's, and

therefore this coin is of little value too someone like me who is only

interested in investing in coins which will enhance my retirement.

Also,

I would like to mention that I am finished with NGC. I have several of

their coins here which are not up to par, and this quarter is the last

straw. It is probably one of the worse examples that I have seen from them.

We should not be placing a high grade upon cleaned/scratched coins, and as

a seller we should inform our buyers if such is the case. I have "street"

coins that I saved from 1976, when I was a young man, that are better than

this.

Talk to me, and let me now what you think and how you feel about

this. I really am not a big jerk.

I did offer to refund the money once I received the coin back.

"Doofus" is the best word I can think of. I am so sure that NGC would slab a scratched up modern coin as "67". He's a tire kicker, and an expensive one.

It looks to me like die polish, which does not affect the grade at all.

I don't think his message is that bad. He is obviously a novice collector, but if he is unhappy with the coin then he should return it. He is only a doofus if you refund him the money and he leaves you negative feedback.

I think if the photos included in the auction were better, this guy would never have bid on the coin in the first place. I also think it is very humorous that he considers a $40 modern coin an investment. lol

I can give a little insight into this coin as based on the serial number, I am the one who slabbed it.

This coin came from an original roll. I was able to purchase several original rolls last year and I personally opened the rolls. None of the coins were harshly cleaned. In fact, the overall quality of the rolls were very impressive with the average quality probably being MS65. I picked the nicest coins out and did a bulk submission to NGC.

I recall that most of the coins exhibited rather heavy die polish which is what can be seen in your pictures. The half dozen that graded MS67 were inline with that grade.

This buyer is just a newbie who doesn't understand die polish from scratches. It's a common mistake.

Also, this buyer shouldn't be buying these type coins for their retirement. They should be buying these types of coins for their enjoyment.

That is what I tried telling the person and I remember buying the coin from you. We will wait to see what they respond with.

Refund their money and politely explain to them the effect of die polish since the buyer obviously does not have the knowledge to identify this characteristic. You might even send them a link to the boards so that they can learn more, too.

Refund their money and politely explain to them the effect of die polish since the buyer obviously does not have the knowledge to identify this characteristic. You might even send them a link to the boards so that they can learn more, too.

Tom said everything I was going to. I think you have handled it well, I think they don't know what they are doing (too new and trying to use coins as investments), and I think a link here would be good for them.

I would just say "No problem. I will issue a refund upon its return in good condition."

That would be the extent of my correspondence.

I would just say "No problem. I will issue a refund upon its return in good condition."

That would be the extent of my correspondence.

Too bad you can't add a "restocking fee!" :baiting:

I just looked at the picture of the coin. I wonder if what he is calling scratches are flow lines? hm

Scott :hi:

I looked at the coin also and could see why a newbie may mistake this coin for having "scratches"...I don't believe they are flow lines because the direction does not radiate from the center, but if they are die polish lines ( which is my opinion) then they are a bit much...the guy should have stated he didn't like the look of the coin and asked for a refund and just left it at that--without the rant...

A reference to this board or other educational info about the minting process would be a very nice/kind response on your part...

Well, still waiting for a response back to my message about fulfilling the refund once I have the coin back. Will keep you all informed.

James was the first to mention this and you took the words right out of my mouth James. Those are Die Polish lines. It's a shame that there are some people investing in coins that still have no knowledge of what they are doing!