• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with a 1943-S Lincoln

11 posts in this topic

I know next to nothing about Lincolns, and especially how to grade them. In clearing out my place I came across this. Is it worth submitting? Any ideas on the grade?

43s_lincoln_obv.jpg

43s_lincoln_rev.jpg

Well, if you are hoping for a high value coin when it comes back slabbed, probably not really worth the expense. It is really sharp and original with no discoloration so personally, as a type collector, I did one that came back as an MS 66. It's not worth much, but it nicely fills the space for the "steel cent" in my type set.

RI AL

My gut says no, you wouldn't make any money submitting it. I think that it's an attractive coin (particularly the reverse), but I think there may be too many hits to make it go above 64-65ish and the price doesn't go very high until you're at 66-67.

I'd love to see that coin in a raw date set in an album, though.

PCGS MS66:

1943p1c900b.jpg

1943p1c900c.jpg

Hi Eric,

It looks like an MS65 (or perhaps MS66) to me. And without looking up what they have been selling for, my guess is that it's not worth getting slabbed.

Mark (and others) thanks, that's what I figured. This coin is currently in a holder that we will not mention as a 67, I suspected it would not actually be that high.

rantrant every steel cent i have sent in has come back as cleaned rantrant

Take them out of your pocket before you throw your pants in the washing machine!

I agree with Mark here as to it being closer to a 65. It is a nice Lincoln for a Dansco collection but not really worth the money to slab.

Mark (and others) thanks, that's what I figured. This coin is currently in a holder that we will not mention as a 67, I suspected it would not actually be that high.

A slab collector's sovenir, and a dark piece of grading history that MUST be preserved! :devil:

Here is the steel cent from my type set. It is in a PCGS MS-66 holder.

1943CentO.jpg1943CentR.jpg

The only reason that I bought this piece for $25 is that it filled a registry type set hole. The classic rule of thumb for slabbing is that an item should be worth $200 or more to make it worthwhile. Using Coin Values magazine as a guide (retail prices), here are the prices for the 1943-S cent in the Gem Mint State Grades:

MS-66, $ 40

MS-67, $ 100

MS-68, $ 2,500

The MS-68 price does represent a condition rarity ... and a bit of registry one up men's-ship, I would imagine. Given the ladder reason I could see a "motivated collector" pushing it higher, although that's not for me.

I will say the original finish, high grade wartime cents are important. That zinc coating is fragile and care should be taken in storing this piece. A slab provides as good protection as most any other device, but you should make an effort to preserve this piece.