• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASE Values

3 posts in this topic

Anyone know where one can find values for the American Silver Eagles? I look on-line at different sellers and check the auctions on eBay, but it seems very difficult to obtain a set value. I know that realistically that a coin is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but it would still be nice to have it all in an easy to look up form. The confusing thing is the pricing numbers given in the registry by Numismedia. They list the 1988 eagle in MS70 at $3550, yet the thing sells for $6000-$7000 in online stores. The 1999 eagle, which I believe is the 2nd lowest poplution in MS70, is only listed at $1100 by Numismedia? How can the second rarest eagle be worth less. Try to find it for $1100 bucks and I can almost guarantee that you can't do it. I'm just confused by it all. I guess I'll just keep doing what I am currently doing which is searching the net and comparing all the various prices and then place my own value on the thing based on gathered information. It's just difficult to figure out since when I think I know a fair value, someone on eBay goes and pays a rediculous amount for a coin and blows my entire valuation theory. My best example is someone paying $5500 for the 2000 Silver Eagle. That price just sounds crazy to me.

Hey PJ. It's hard to get accurate values for these things when they are Modern and Bullion at the same time. Most of the time I just do what you're doing and just check out Ebay and some of the powersellers that sell them in thier stores at "Buy It Now" prices. Those are a little higher than normal, but they sem to get you in range of what you're looking for.

You might try Mintproducts.com or ModernCoinMart, they both sell them raw or slabbed, generally cheaper than Ebay. Gainesville Coins, in Florida sells all the dates slabbed, for fairly reasonable pricing. I have bought several from Gainesville because of their competitive prices and high inventory levels. Many dealers are out-of-stock on SAE's now because of the run on silver bullion. I normally don't plug dealers but SAE coins are harder to find at the moment.

Apmex is selling raw SAE's for about $19.00 each.