• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Contemplating a potential silver 1958-D multi-coin set. Your thoughts?

12 posts in this topic

I've got 6 1958-D silver coins that IMO would make a killer multicoin set. Each of the 6 coins is predominantly toned on one side. The one thing holding me back is financial considerations. The main issue is whether the set as a whole would be worth more than the parts. Secondarily there would be the cost (and potential "devalueing") of reslabbing 3 PCGS coins to NGC. Finally there would be the cost of slabbing a Roosie that IMO will not grade high enough to offset the grading fees. BTW, I have absolutely NO intention of selling these coins anytime soon.

The 2 halves are already slabbed in an NGC multi-coin holder, and since NGC screwed up when it put them in (the reverse is rotated 180 degrees), I would not need to pay for their reslabbing fees. The 2 Washies and the obverse toned Roosie are currently in PCGS holders and would need to be crossed. The reverse toned Roosie is currently raw and IMO will grade 65ish.

The current grades of the coins are:

Obverse toned Frankie MS66*,

Reverse toned Frankie MS65,

Both Washies MS65,

Obverse toned Roosie MS66FB,

Reverse toned Roosie Raw (65ish).

So, do you think it would be worthwhile to reslab them all in one holder? And even if you think that it is financially unadvisable would you go ahead and do it anyhow because they'd look so cool together? Here are the coins...

Franklin58D_N66_ObObv.jpg

Franklin58D_N65_Revrev.jpg

Washington58D_P65_ObObv.jpg

Washington58D_P65_RevRev2.jpg

Roosevelt58D_66FBobv.jpg

Roosevelt58DRevSm.jpg

On a gorgeous set like this, profit or loss is not relevant. The fact that it is a beautiful, matched set is what is important.

I say, "Just do it!". (thumbs u

On a gorgeous set like this, profit or loss is not relevant. The fact that it is a beautiful, matched set is what is important.

I say, "Just do it!". (thumbs u

I have to agree. You know you're not going to sell them anyway. :grin:

Sy,

If you are not going to sell them, which is a pity for the rest of us toning freaks, then you should definitely group those birth year toners together. Call it a 50th B-Day present to yourself if you want to justify the expense. But think how happy you will be when that present comes in the mail, and you get to open it. Just make sure you post the photo when you get it so we can join in the fun.