• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you bid on this coin and why?

19 posts in this topic

Here is an 1834 Bust Quarter that is the most washed out piece of coinage I have seen for sale on Ebay(unless the seller is trying to make the coin look bad), yet bids are coming in for it. Would anyone here buy this coin(other than for a giveaway price which doesn't look likely)? The followling is the auction:

Ebay

1834BustQuarterawful.jpg

its so sad to see that so clean :( bet it looked awsome b4 washing.

i wouldnt buy due to no natural look to coin :(

There is no such thing as a bad coin, just the price paid for such coin.

This coin is certainly not worth as much as an unmolested example, but it still has some value.

For the price, if I did not care about it being original, 36 bucks ain't bad. But I have grown past having any interest in coins like this...

...that is the most washed out piece of coinage I have seen for sale on Ebay..
You must not look at too many listings. :devil: But no, I wouldn't bid on it, because it looks too unoriginal for my personal taste.

Does the quarter have a plain and crosslet 4 variety like the classic head gold coins? This could be a crosslet 4 if it was a half eagle, and those sell for a premium.

It's a real shame the buyer got stuck with that coin for over $70.00. This is why these boards are so valuable, because it IS through the evaluation of each other's coins + what is on the market, positive and negative, mistakes and no mistakes, that we learn why a washed out, cleaned stripped abused coin like that is essentially worthless, and how, for the same amount of money, you can get a coin that is over 150 years old, in an unmolested state, collector quality, that will bring immense satisfaction and have excellent re-sale value.

Does the quarter have a plain and crosslet 4 variety like the classic head gold coins? This could be a crosslet 4 if it was a half eagle, and those sell for a premium.

Looks like the B-2 die marriage--a solid R-4. As such, it is probably worth a little more than other 1834s. But, IMO not enough more to overcome the lack of appeal.

1965Rambler.jpg

1965Marlin.jpg

Looking at this coin is probably not much different than looking at say, vintage cars. The two cars shown were made by the same company, AMC, in the same year, 1965 and at the same manufacturing plant in Kenosha, Wi. yet they are different in so many ways.

The red rambler might fit someone's life style and budget, yet others will hold out and get the snazzier Marlin because it will turn heads in a drive-by.

It all comes down to a matter of taste and what you can afford at the time.

With the coin pictured, I'd hold out till something a little snazzier comes along.

I wouldn't bid on it, I like them crusty. But I can understand why it's getting bids, it's a Bust quarter. Now if this was a half I'd really be scratching my head.