• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you buy coins that don't fill a hole or are dupes?

20 posts in this topic

I don't really have any holes in my collection that I'm seriously going after. Yeah, I have incomplete series that I always have an eye out, but if I were to only buy those coins, I'd either have to deplete my child's college account, or have nothing to buy.

I have certain passions. I'm passionate about buying circulated, eye appealing, original, 19th century type material, especially 2-3-20 cent stuff. The uncirculated stuff is generally too expensive. My eye will generally detect this material in a dealer's case or in a dealer's inventory online, especially if it's a better date of the 2-3-20 cent series'.

As you can see in my recent thread of purchases, I purchased coins I have absolutely no "need" for. What the heck do I need another 1865 3CN? An uncirculated Morgan dollar?

Sometimes I worry, that I'm now just accumulating/hoarding without purpose except possibly towards some sort of inevitable financial ruin.

I doubt I'm alone in my nutty endeavor. How about you?

I have been collecting coins since I was a kid.(I am now retired0.

I am not a dealer just a collector for the fun of it. To date I probably have over 5,000 coins...and have sold ZERO!!

Bought 4 bust coins over last 2 weeks.

i still do this

if i see something that "tickles my fancy"

and this could mean a combo of the below..................................

1) i love the eye appeal and originality

2) offers value and opportunity

3) i like the history

4) a great price/underpriced

5) so many other reasons; too many to name

i do not care how many i have

i still get it........................................

such is the collector in all of us

(thumbs u

Were I to be a wise coin collector, I would go after specific coins that fit my needs, but unfortunately, for me, I grab eye appeal coins all the time and end up with a hodge podge of coins I do not have collections for. I still love it, and probably will continue to do it. I tend to trade these coins at a later date unless still fascinated by them.

Jim

i still do this

if i see something that "tickles my fancy"

and this could mean a combo of the below..................................

1) i love the eye appeal and originality

2) offers value and opportunity

3) i like the history

4) a great price/underpriced

5) so many other reasons; too many to name

i do not care how many i have

i still get it........................................

such is the collector in all of us

(thumbs u

I like this...it is really close to my buying philosophy. If I see a coin that has your # 1, and combined it with at least one other factor, I at least try to get it, no matter what. If the price being right is the second factor, then I know that selling said coin will be easy, and losses will either be minimal, or a profit can be made with a little effort. Just be certain to view lots and lots of coins...

I hate to say it, but I go against the grain of many who say that the hobby should be more about collecting for the fun of it and assume a (total) loss. Like the above post, I always try to buy with value in mind and immediate resalability (just in case!). The only exception to this are those rare "holes" that I need to fill. I'm willing to be buried a little bit in the coin.

Why do I have nine Hampshire 89 Conder tokens ranging from Fine to proof, and I've recently bid on three more of them? I don't know. I already have two proof so it's not like I need more, and it is a common token but if I run into a nice unc or another proof I can't keep myself from bidding on it.

In January, I made up a plan for the year, based on what sets I'm working toward completing. I've so far done very well at keeping to this short list of what I want to buy and I feel a lot better about not picking up stuff haphazardly.

If you want to scratch the itch from time to time, but don't want to put a fortune into it, I suggest starting up a mid grade type set and aiming for some commonality between the coins to give it a bit of a challenge for you (e.g., Only collect first year of issues, only P mint marks, only dates ending in a '0' like 1910 or 1940, only coins in a even, natural grade Fine, etc.).

You could also work on birth year sets or start an album from circulation finds.

For me, the best approach to staying in budget is to start the year with a list of what I am 'allowed' to buy and sticking to it as close as I can. Then I have an excuse not to waste my money on random stuff without a place for it, and my collection has a great deal of cohesion.

The only time I usually duplicate coins is if I buy in "lots" and then I hope that maybe the dupes are upgrades. If I'm working for Dansco holes, then I usually just buy the dates I need. If it's morgans and stuff other than dansco stuff, then I don't mind buying dupes.

I don't really have any holes in my collection that I'm seriously going after. Yeah, I have incomplete series that I always have an eye out, but if I were to only buy those coins, I'd either have to deplete my child's college account, or have nothing to buy.

I have certain passions. I'm passionate about buying circulated, eye appealing, original, 19th century type material, especially 2-3-20 cent stuff. The uncirculated stuff is generally too expensive. My eye will generally detect this material in a dealer's case or in a dealer's inventory online, especially if it's a better date of the 2-3-20 cent series'.

As you can see in my recent thread of purchases, I purchased coins I have absolutely no "need" for. What the heck do I need another 1865 3CN? An uncirculated Morgan dollar?

Sometimes I worry, that I'm now just accumulating/hoarding without purpose except possibly towards some sort of inevitable financial ruin.

I doubt I'm alone in my nutty endeavor. How about you?

Yes, I do buy duplicates because I like the coins I collect enough to do it. And I will always buy a coin in my series when I know I can turn around and resell it for more money. (I would do it for others if I knew them well enough but do not.) It would be irrational not to do so.

Yes, I bought recently (2) MS65, 1949 Jeffs the same day and put them in two sets. One of them was well struck, with color, no die wear, but no trace of steps. The other was better struck, had partial steps but the reverse die had been over-polished in the columns.

I buy multiples of coins if the coin is really choice and apparently original. Obviously, it also has to keep the strain on my finances to a workable level, too.

I have been buying any slabbed MS 64 or better Classic Commem in the 0 -$150 range I can acquire close to bid. I probably have enough MS 64 Long Island Halves to make a roll.

And all this just for fun.