• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aren't most AU58's really uncirculated?

21 posts in this topic

Granted, I'm limited to busties, but I seriously doubt that any of my AU58's have ever seen circulation.

What are your thoughts about this?

Many times (pre-modern) a weakly struck MS coin, ie; Walking Liberty half dollar comes to mind, but there are many others. Upon inspection, not enough of the high point design elements are present and they are immediatly thought to be in AU condition.

But there are also coins with high spots, ie; Standing Liberty quarter comes to mind, where the bolts on the shield are the first to go, where wear/rub from the slightest of circulation, will in effect place an AU grade upon those coins.

I think each denomination and years within the same series has it's own quirks when it comes to AU vs low grade MS conditions.

You have to know your coins....period!

Many of the really nice AU64 (58++) coins from old collections are MS with "cabinet friction" from storage in drawers that rubbed the high spots on the devices or from albums that did the same. Recently market graded AU58 coins are usually lightly circulated.

Most AU-58's are uncs that were set aside long ago. There are many ways to improperly care for coins that will result in rub and light wear. Over many decades it becomes likely that the coins have been exposed to at least some of these factors. Even allowing an unc roll to sit loose and upright in a safety deposit box can result in rubbing if it's in an area with a lot of vibration. Bags of coins might be frequently moved and some of the coins in it will take the brunt of the movement.

Before modern times, though, it was not as unusual for collectors to remove nice attractive coins from circulation even if they had a little wear. I always like to think that the gem with light wear is a coin a collector recognized as special and was well protected rather than a gem that just happened to be saved and was inadvertantly damaged.

Before modern times, though, it was not as unusual for collectors to remove nice attractive coins from circulation even if they had a little wear. I always like to think that the gem with light wear is a coin a collector recognized as special and was well protected rather than a gem that just happened to be saved and was inadvertantly damaged.

Hmmmmm........interesting point.

Well, how many coin collectors back in the day searched bank bags for the nicest technically uncirculated coins they could get vs. just pulling a nice one from limited circulation?

Coins can pick up wear from a variety of circumstances. If coins are rolled around in a bag for a period of time, they can get worn. If they are carried in a pocket for a short time, they can become worn.

So, these coins might have never actually seen circulation, but they are worn.

Also, some "uncirculated" pieces may have actually seen circulation a couple of times.

Coins can pick up wear from a variety of circumstances. If coins are rolled around in a bag for a period of time, they can get worn. If they are carried in a pocket for a short time, they can become worn.

So, these coins might have never actually seen circulation, but they are worn.

Also, some "uncirculated" pieces may have actually seen circulation a couple of times.

A cu/ ni coin can circulate for weeks and still be uncirculated.

A silver coin can't circulate as long and still be unc but it can circulate.

all or most were taken from circulation and set aside .If it wasn't bought at on of the mints

its circulated.Think of it as a virgin you are or you are not can't almost be one Like a little pregnant ??They can still look great but under a good loop you can see the difference.

Years ago when the hobby first started using the AU58 grade for coins, these AU coins looked like vestal virgins compared to today's market graded AU58's.

depends .................. i need tosee it in person

either au58's are overgraded au53-55 and if resubmitted raw they will now be graded 53-55

or they are ms62 with some floating slight friction ready to be sent into the slab place again for regrade and put into an ms61-63 holder

or they are ms64 with a slight problrem and some friction and will stay au58

or hm secrets :devil:

I think it all depends on how much circulation a coin has and can be identified. There are alot of MS coins that have seen circulation, it's just not enough to keep them from MS grades by TPG standards. Those that have a little more, see AU.

Granted, I'm limited to busties, but I seriously doubt that any of my AU58's have ever seen circulation.

What are your thoughts about this?

Quite frankly, I think that most MS 62-64 coins saw circulation, which means your 58's did too....Mike

Agreed but I also have the impression that grading standards are looser now than they were before, at in recent times. That's why green label PCGS holders frequently sell for more than the same coin in a current holder.

Agreed but I also have the impression that grading standards are looser now than they were before, at in recent times. That's why green label PCGS holders frequently sell for more than the same coin in a current holder.

Yes, and even then most 61 to 63 labled bust halves were actually AUs. It makes no difference how the rub got there wear is wear.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, and even then most 61 to 63 labled bust halves were actually AUs. It makes no difference how the rub got there wear is wear.

:applause: (thumbs u :applause: (thumbs u :applause: