• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Confirms Major Hub Variety of 2008-W Silver Eagles

48 posts in this topic

What do I think? I think all of mine are the Reverse of 2008. Shucks, no "bowl games" for me. It would have been nice to have one of each in a multiholder.

Chris

Well the Morgan dollar had some of these reverses from different years and it didn't effect any value on them from any other one's that I've seen. This will probably be nothing more than just a variety type.

Anybody have an idea of percentages of '08-W, Type of '07 versus normal reverse "W" mint SAE's? There is nothing in NGC's census that indicates numbers of this variety certified.

Well the Morgan dollar had some of these reverses from different years and it didn't effect any value on them from any other one's that I've seen. This will probably be nothing more than just a variety type.

There are 4 reverse styles listed in the Greysheet for 1878 Morgans, and each is priced differently. So I'm not sure Morgans are a good example to point to, regarding valuation of varieties.

Supposedly there are lots of ASE collectors, so if there aren't enough examples of this "2008 rev. of 07" variety, there probably will be a price difference. Though I doubt it'll be like the 1995-W.

My 2 cents,

-Mike

I sent in my 2008 W from the U.S. Mint a few days ago. I checked and I do not have it.

Talking about the Morgans there are at least four reverses in the 1878.There are also three different ones being the 7 tail feathers 7/8 tail feathers and the eight tail feathers. I had a 1878 in a Dansco that the I sent to ANACS last year and it came back as a 1878 Reverse of 79. It also is a VAM 222.

It also graded as a AU58. I keep looking and have never seen a 222 Vam on Ebay or Teletrade but I would guess about $75.00. The main reason I sent it in is because there is a Reverse of 79 Vam 229 that is usually missed because it is similar to a 222. The 229 in AU50 goes for between $750 to $1000.00

Here you are talking about a Modern coin that is in good shape as it is fresh from the Mint.There are plenty of 1878 Morgans with a Reverse in 1878. The reverse does not give it a particular high price by itself .It is the Vam that defines it even more.I would think that all of the 2008W reverses are going to be the same .The difference is that these coins are Uncirculated as opposed to the conditon of the 1878 which is around today for the most part so there will be some premium on the 2008W.

It would not be worth $520.00 to me.I can think of a lot more coins that I could buy for $520.00 that would be worth much more to me.

Gainsville coins has the 69's for 150 bux for anyone interested. Since I collect the series, I picked one up from them. Purely speculation for sure.

NGC is giving the same number of registry points to the '07 reverse variety as to the MS69 '08-W burnished (normal coin). I guess we have to wait and see how many of these there are out in collector's hands. Apparently, the latest shipments from the mint are the reverse of '08.

Agreed. I received my Subscription 2008 W last month and it is Normal. This means that the people who got them in Bulk earlier and the people who bought them from these people that didn't catch them are the people that have them.

The General Public that is at the end of the feeding chain gets to pay the inflated price if they want it.

Did you get this from the mint OT3? Just curious as to when these started to hit the streets. I have a subscription from the mint which gets out usually earlier than to regular mint purchases but it's the normal reverse.

Bobby, it bought it from Gainesville Coins.com about a week ago for $60.00. already in the NGC, Early Release slab. As I am sure your aware, the Mint is still not shipping any more SAE's until May1st. I would guess that Gainsville submitted 1000's of 2008 SAE's, given their sales volume. I have no idea when these were sold to Gainesville. I wonder how many of these rev. of '07 have been minted? NGC is giving this variety the same number of registry points as the regular '08-W coins. Who knows if there are more in the Mint's inventory? I will ask Gainesville about how many they received, if they will tell me?

Most dealer's stock of MS69's is gone. Some dealers are still selling MS70 by "call for quote". Ebay dealers are asking $500+ for MS69's. A little outrageous, IMHO.

There is a posting ATS where several people have stated that some of the non-burnished, 2008 silver eagles (without the W) also have the reverse of 2007. Has anyone over here found an '07 rev. on the standard issue silver eagle?

Thanks OT3 for your response. I didn't know the mint was not sending out the ASE's yet. I guess everyone that has gotten thiers, including mine, has been from subscription.

I purchased an SAE MS-70 08 with the 07 reverse from Gainesville Coin for $325 last week. I have been watching the auctions on Ebay and they are running anywhere from the $400 - $500 range.

Since I collect the SAE I don't mind paying the price for them. The only problem is that my wife said it's for Father's Day and I can only look at once when it comes in and then it gets wrapped up and put away till then!! :censored: :censored: :censored:

Good times! Moderncoinmart had the 69's listed for $119 yesterday but out of stock, they're up to $189 today. It's definately sparking some interest that's for sure!