• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1858 SL Dime.

13 posts in this topic

Last year I decided to put together an 1858 Mint Set. I've found that while there are a fair amount of P mint cents, half dimes, dimes, quarters and half dollars floating around, most of them have issues, so finding the right one has been challenging. Here's my first purchase from this years Santa Clara show. I strongly suspect it's been dipped at some point in time, but it has retoned nicely and I like the appearance. It is in a PCGS MS64 holder and I agree with the grade. Bob Campbell imaged the coin and I think he did an excellent job.

EDITED TO ADD: This set will not (well maybe 1 or 2 pieces) include any gold.

SLDime1858_P64Obv.jpg

SLDime1858_P64Rev.jpg

Is there something significant about 1858? That is a very nice dime :) Congratulations

Very nice. Yes finding one of each that looks like that is not easy. And what about the gold?

Thanks guys, glad you like it!

Rons, 1858 was 100 years before I was born.

MBA, looking at the cost of the gold made me wince... there are a LOT of pieces, 16, and they are all pretty rare. If I'm lucky I'll try and get a $1-P in MS63-4, a $2.50-P in MS62-3 and maybe a $20-P in AU58.

One other coin that will cost a bundle, and isn't technically part of the Mint Set as it is a Proof, is the silver dollar. There were ~300 minted. That will be by FAR the single most expensive coin of this set that I will go for, if I can find one with the right look in PR62-3. Otherwise I won't worry about it.

Here's what I've got so far...

1858 Set