• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions, how to handle a dangerous transaction?

22 posts in this topic

I did something I NEVER do today. I bought a coin from an ebay seller with 100% but light feedback that I didn't read before I hit the button. After seeing my bid win, I read more and discovered the 23 positive feedbacks were all from fifty-cent purchases. When the auction ended, the email address was suffixed as yahoo.uk, but the auction location was U.S. The paypal account is less than 30 days old, and unverified. The coin is not terribly expensive ($340), and is in a reputable holder, but is the first coin sold by this seller. Before I send funds, any advice? (other than - what were you thinking stupid) lol Below is a pic.

38.jpg

Frank,

If I read it right, I'm only covered up to $200, and the auction didn't offer buyer protection because the account is unverified. I was thinking of offering to pay for UPS C.O.D. ?

A few things here. This coin was being sold by another seller, 3052330542 who has feedback of 76.9%.

The seller you pruchased it from says this in his auction: Will pay for 1/2 of escrow if extra security is needed.

Take him up on this offer if you want.

Greg, I really appreciate the assistance. That was a good catch. I'll do just that! Same seller name and address in both listings, with a different user ID.

One more thing, if you use an escrow company, use the one eBay offers. Do NOT use an outside one unless YOU pick it and verify it is legit. If the seller gives you BS about not being able to use the eBay one or insists that you use another one, walk away from the deal and take a neg. You can get it removed. Do not allow the seller to push you into an outside escrow service. There are too many stories about these fake escrow services. If you do a search on MSNBC you can come up with several articles about these fake escrow services.

Don,

I am a regular player on Ebay. I only buy and have hundreds of positive feedback, and I am still 100%. I say the transaction is with an invalid contact person. I don't think I would pay with a credit card unless it was US as advertised. Maybe everything will be good and maybe everything won't. In fours years I have had the unpleasant fortune to have a person try and sell me coins as proof, and they were not, and not to mention incomplete. There are many sellers there that know nothing about the coins they offer, and in fact, they do not even have the coins in their posession. They either drop ship them or are saying they are selling them for someone. It is your call, but follow your gut.

I wish you the best on your choice.

Steve

I have reported the multiple identities to Ebay, and asked them to investigate. Too many red flags for me to be comfortable. If they don't NARU the seller, I'll escrow as Greg suggested. I'm likely to receive my first neg in 600 transactions, but I'll take my chances. Greg, your help has been very valuable, and I appreciate you letting me interrupt your Sunday.

Don

Hope it works out for you on this one. I stay away from auctions from overseas. Multiple IDs should raise the flag. To much can go wrong, and you my never see the product.

I always look at the feedback before bidding, and so far I have not had any problems when buying. Knock on wood.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Don,

Good luck with however you choose to tread. You've already received excellent advice...

As for Greg, yes, he indeed is a helpful person. He actually is one of the bigger reasons why I decided to spend more "quality" time here. BTW, has anyone noticed that Greg isn't so "in-your-face-tell-it-like-it-is" as he used to be?

I've met him in person, and he is the complete opposite of what his online persona used to be!

EVP

As for Greg, yes, he indeed is a helpful person. He actually is one of the bigger reasons why I decided to spend more "quality" time here.

sorry.gifsorry.gifsorry.gif

27_laughing.gifwink.gif

BTW, has anyone noticed that Greg isn't so "in-your-face-tell-it-like-it-is" as he used to be?

I've met him in person, and he is the complete opposite of what his online persona used to be!

I *honestly* don't think that I am any different in person than I am online. I will always say to your face what I will say to you online. I think that people who meet me in person think that I'm going to have a pissed at the world, I hate you all, glass is always half empty attitude. They're surprised to find I'm a normal, good natured guy. If I sound jaded, it is because I am. I've seen more in this hobby than most people could ever imagine. Everything from seeing little old ladies get massively screwed, to knowing a small time drug addict collector and finding out that a few years later he is one of the biggest coin doctors in the business, to seeing people outright have coins stolen from them. If there is a way to be screwed, I bet it has been attempted on me or I know people it happened to.

Also, online I can post a dozen positive responses to questions about dealers, services, and organizations, but I make one mention that XYZ is a scumbag dealer or something like that and it just clicks for people that this is me.

I'm also sure my icon gives people an impression of me. smile.gif

For the most part, I don't start threads. I probably make 100+ replies for every thread I start. What I say is a direct result of what material I have to work with. These forums aren't filled with "look at this eBay auction", "what do you think of this seller?", "look at my grading results", "PCGS fingerprinted my coins", "Can this full page Coin World dealer really sell $2,000 coins for $300?", etc type posts. I'm not given much of a chance over here to show my evil side and give brutal opinions on these subjects. The posts over here are related to actual coins. And of course, unlike across the street, if I feel wronged by NGC, all I have to do is contact them and they will try to make it right. Across the street I'm left banging my head with everyone else.

Don

The best I can do is if the coin was within a rock throw of my neighborhood, I could personally pick it up for you. But since the chances of that ever happening is in a million years, you just might be SOL. 27_laughing.gif Whatever you do, don't send cash or your mom's SS check! 27_laughing.gif

Keep us posted on your way to rip-off alley coinland. 27_laughing.gif

Leo sign-funnypost.gif

Your "sixth sense" alarm bells are really going off aren't they? As has been previously suggested I think you should walk away from this one and take the neg. I no longer do any business with sellers outside the US. I got stung by a Canadian scammer in September. It is something you don't soon forget.

Can't help but add my probably unwanted advice.

READ ALL THE TERMS and everything ELSE .....BEFORE......bidding.

I get buyers all the time who seem to "notice" something AFTER they bid.

Read BEFORE bidding. Check feedback BEFORE bidding.

Off da soapbox now.

893blahblah.gif

Just a follow-up post. I chose to complete the transaction using escrow.com, and notified the seller I had set the escrow up and he simply needed to respond. I wired the money. He mailed the coin. It arrived today in a used padded mailer with the old addresses blacked out. Go figure. wink.gif

Tom, I like it. Like most from this period, it's slightly hazy (particularly the reverse), but I like the toning, and consider it above average. The coin has two small hairlines on the obverse that are insignificant and well obscured by the toning. Although the picture doesn't make it evident, the coin has light cameo devices. It's a nice coin, and I think it'll look good in a white holder. Below is an indoor pic.The disturbance above the T on the reverse is on the holder, not the coin.

38-1.jpg