• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What grade would you give to this 3CN?

18 posts in this topic

Nice 3cn probably AU 58 with the rub, but well struck with the hair detail. Most specimens of this series tend to be without full hair detail and full lines in the III.

It's a really nice AU. It is very well stuck with all of the vertical lines visible in the "III," and it has good eye appeal. It can't be an Unc. because the surfaces have obviously seen some circulation.

Wow, I guess I would have been waaaay off base on this one based on everyone else's comments. I don't see any real wear on the coin. If it hasn't seen any circulation, I don't see any marks or problems that would put it below a 66. Of course, if there are luster breaks, then I'd say 58. Okay, guys go ahead and laugh at me.

When I first looked at it in hand with my naked eye I thought it looked MS, maybe in the MS64 range. Then I took it to some better light and put it under a loupe and I could then see some light handling marks and a touch of rub on the high points of the hair. The fields around the III on the reverse also show signs of lost luster. I would grade this an AU58 myself.

It wouldn't happen to be in an old PCI holder, would it?

Ray

Ray, you must have those old PCI holders on the brain. Maybe your feeling guilty for cracking that deuce out. I can't imagine why else you would suggest such a thing.

Of course you could be right. :golfclap:

James, you need to go back in time and get a job grading for PCI. You would fit right in. (thumbs u

56637-1867slab.jpg.09b6ddbe95be0f9a73e136d9fd6327d0.jpg

That seller had about six of these and I bid on three. This was the only one I took home though. A couple went unsold.

I'm glad your mind is getting as forgetful as mine or else you may have been the one starting this post. :devil:

Boy, do I feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and messed up nicely on this one. I guess that takes a feather out of them 3CN grading cap. ouch

Now, that I said that, I can say that I wouldn't pass up on those coins either. Very nice for the grade.