• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on Brown and Dunn

6 posts in this topic

I understand that Brown and Dunn made the first grading book in 1958 and I always thought they were the first write a book on grading and the first to use photos in their fourth edition(1964). But I just picked up a book PICTORIAL GUIDE TO COIN CONDITIONS by Burton Hobson and Fred Reinfeld and that was published in 1962. True they only cover the more modern coins at the time (Th century). My question is does anyone know of any earlier grading books? CHRIS

I believe NATIONAL made coin pricing and grading books in the early thirties to mid forties. The National books I have seen were somewhat larger than pocket size and blue hardbound.

TRUTH

Chris:

A couple of comments: First, the 1964 edition of Brown and Dunn doesn't have photographs--it has line drawings. Ditto for the 1969 edition. (Both of which I have in my library and both of which I acquired when they were current.) I was collecting during the 1960s and I can easily recall LOTS of advertisements stating "B&D Grading." Unfortunately, I can't recall anything else about other grading schemes.

Truth might be correct about National making coin grading (and pricing) books during the 1930s. But James Halperin says in the preface to his book, How to Grade U.S. Coins, " ...one would have to say that the first effective effort was authored by Martin R. Brown and John W. Dunn in 1958. As far as I know, 'A Guide to the Grading of United States Coins,' was the first illustrated, scientific guide to the grading of United States coins." From this statement I infer that Halperin apparently thinks that Brown and Dunn was the first grading scheme to be published in a book form. But, as I said above, Turth might well be correct about National publishing books before Brown and Dunn's book. And, I, personally, would be interested if someone can confirm this.

Mark

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

While doing some research at the ANS Library in NYC a few years ago, I came across Brown & Dunn's original line drawings. These were very crude and were dated 1953. I seem to remember that someone else was the actual artist, if you can call him that.

I don't have the 1958 edition of B&D in front of me, but I believe it included these crude drawings. Later editions had new drawings that were much more accurate, and these ultimately were included in the first two editions of the ANA's grading guide starting in 1977.

I seem to remember that someone else was the actual artist, if you can call him that.

OUCH!! makepoint.gif

I occasionally use Photograde and B&D as a supplement to the ANA standards and the PCGS grading guide. I think that the B&D line drawings are more useful than the low quality photos in Photograde.