• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A 1933 Franklin D. Roosevelt Inaugural Medal

14 posts in this topic

A couple of weeks ago someone asked in a post if there were any items any of us would like own that were out of our usual collecting interests. I responded with the 1933 Franklin D. Roosevelt inaugural medal. Oddly enough one recently came up for sale and here it is in my collection.

FDR1933O.jpgFDR1933R.jpg

When Franklin Roosevelt took The Oath of Office in 1933, The United States was in a very bad way. Unemployment had reached 25% of the workforce and the number foreclosures made today’s “housing crisis” look like a joke. Regardless of you might think of Franklin Roosevelt, and some people then an now view him as the devil incarnate, :devil: his message of hope and change was just what the country needed. The most famous line from that speech was "First of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only we have to fear is fear itself." That statement set to tone for the best thing Roosevelt or any president as to offer: hope, leadership and optimism.

This medal is the most common version of the piece. The U.S. mint made 1,500 of these pieces in bronze. In addition the Metallic Art Company made 50 pieces with a different and more desirable finish. The issue price for the U.S. mint version was $2.50, and only about 1,000 of the medals sold. The remaining 500 were put aside and distributed in various ways over the coming years. There were also two gold pieces that were given to Roosevelt and his vice president, John Nance Garner and perhaps four silver pieces that went to other dignitaries. Today this piece is considered to be toughest of the four FDR inaugural medals to collect.

Oddly enough I have no burning desire to add to my collection of presidential inaugural medals. The only other piece that really interests me is the 1800 medal that John Reich designed for Thomas Jefferson, but that piece so rare that I have no real chance of owning one. The only other inaugural medal I have is the John F. Kennedy piece, which was issued in 1961. Ironically the same artist, Paul Manship, designed both the 1933 FDR piece and the 1961 JFK medal. Those were the only two inaugural medals he would design.

The obverse of this piece features a portrait of Franklin Roosevelt in very high relief. It took 12 blows from the dies to bring up all of the detail. The ship of the reverse is the USS Constitution (a.k.a. “Old Ironsides”) was derived from picture that FDR had in his extensive collection of naval art. The winged goddess below the ship was symbolic of “the ship of state.” Roosevelt was about to assume what would amount to almost dictatorial powers, and he would be very much "the captain of the ship of state" in early years of his administration.

The medal was designed by Paul Manship, a popular sculptor of the era.He was also invited to submit designs for the first Ireland coinage, but did not win. His 5-in diameter bronze design casts are on display in the Smithsonian American Art Museum, in Washington, DC.

The obverse of this piece features a portrait of Franklin Roosevelt in very high relief. It took 12 blows from the dies to bring up all of the detail. The ship of the reverse is the USS Constitution (a.k.a. “Old Ironsides”) was derived from picture that FDR had in his extensive collection of naval art. The winged goddess below the ship was symbolic of “the ship of state.” Roosevelt was about to assume what would amount to almost dictatorial powers, and he would be very much "the captain of the ship of state" in early years of his administration.

FDR was the Assistant Secretary of the Navy under Woodrow Wilson's tenure. Perhaps this is where he got his love for naval art?

FDR was the Assistant Secretary of the Navy under Woodrow Wilson's tenure. Perhaps this is where he got his love for naval art?

For sure! Theodore Roosevelt who was FDR's cousin was also Franklin Roosevelt’s idol. Franklin tailored his career and political resume to that of Teddy to a remarkable degree. Teddy and Franklin each got their political start in the New York State legislature. Teddy and Franklin each served as Assistant Secretary of the Navy. Teddy was elected Vice President of the United States, and Franklin ran for Vice President in 1920. And they each used the office of Governor of New York as stepping stones to recognition and higher office. Despite his handicap FDR enjoyed sailing. In short the ship image that appeared on FDR’s inaugural medal and his large collection of naval art were not accidents.

Nice, clean medal. I like Paul Manship's design a lot, especially the link to FDR's love of sailing and naval art, as well as the Ship of State allegory. It's good to learn a bit about the person behind the President.

gangII.jpg

I wanna know what happened to Nixon. Did they kick him out of the game for cheating or what.

By the way, that is really cool, where did u get it.

Those other *Elephant Party* presidens would do well to keep an eye on Nixon. According to what I've read, he was real card shark during his days a G.I. during World War II. Then as he was as a politician Nixon was a devious fellow that hard to watched.

Eisenhower was quite a student of card games although I don't know if his game was poker. He took great pride in his status as a master bridge player.

Nixon was actually at another table!

gang.jpg

Original works by artist Andy Thomas

Okay, now it appears that Teddy is trying to sneak a peek at tricky 's cards. Guess that is the only way he can beat him.

I love poker and I might just buy one of those prints. I have two hobbies; collecting coins and playing poker. I use my poker winnings to finance my coin obsession. Thank God I live in Atlantic City.