• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The key to a successful hobby!

7 posts in this topic

[font:Comic Sans MS]When selling your coins that is when you truly find out how you have done buying your coins. Buy quality and untampered with coins and your chances of making a decent return on your hobby/investment will be much greater than the price shopper.[/font]

One of the most difficult things about collecting and investing in coins/currency is to determine if the collectable is an original, natural, “untampered with” coin vs. a coin that has been whizzed, cleaned, tooled, straightened, artificially toned and/or polished. REMEMBER, anything done to alter a coin is done on purpose, and that purpose is to hide an already existing problem with a coin or falsely inflate the value. All of these things are bad!!! These take away from the value of a coin, sometimes up to 80% while the buyer thinks he is getting a deal close or even a little under bid.

It is very difficult things for a dealer is to find fresh untampered with coins that have no problems. Supply and demand dictates that the fewer original coins there are, the higher the demand and thus the higher the prices. In such cases people need to be helped to understand that grey sheets do not buy the untampered with, problem free coins.

Any dealer can show you 2 coins graded by the same grading service, (no matter which service) S/he may pay near or even back of grey sheet for one and the other he will pay anywhere from 30% to 230% above the sheets depending on the look of the coin. When selling your coins that is when you truly find out how you have done buying your coins. If you shop for that deal, unfortunately 20 to 100 dealers may have seen that deal before you and thus your deal is not truly a deal.

Buy quality and untampered with coins and your chances of making a decent return on your hobby/investment will be much greater than the price shopper. If you want a true index of what "rare" coins sell for, check out the auction realized prices from major auctions and you will see the difference.

My enjoyment comes from owning coins, not from selling them. I respect what the quote is saying, but much of the time, I do not completely agree with it. I'm not saying I want to be taken to the cleaners when it comes time to sell, but does it always need to come down to "profits"?

If the only thing that lets you remember your enjoyment of your coins is how much money you make when you sell them, I'm not sure you ever really enjoyed them in them in the first place.

On the other hand, I certainly do agree that more enjoyment derives from natural, original and untampered-with coins. Coin buyers are well advised to learn how to identify altered coins before spending a lot of money on their hobby! But we should always bear in mind that even damaged and processed coins have value, and as long as you're buying habits are thoughtful and balanced, you can still get plenty of enjoyment from "problem coins".

My enjoyment comes from owning coins, not from selling them. I respect what the quote is saying, but much of the time, I do not completely agree with it. I'm not saying I want to be taken to the cleaners when it comes time to sell, but does it always need to come down to "profits"?

If the only thing that lets you remember your enjoyment of your coins is how much money you make when you sekk them, I'm not sure you ever really enjoyed them in them in the first place.

On the other hand, I certainly do agree that more enjoyment derives :headbang: value, and as long as you're buying habits are thoughtful and balanced, you can still get plenty of enjoyment from "problem coins".

Truth :applause: (thumbs u

I also agree here with James but there is that possibility of using the advice given wisely. This would fall under the circumstances of a person's financial state when purchasing coins. A person with a low budget has to try to get the best coin quality for thier money. As time progresses, that person's financial state could change for the better and want to or be able to afford to start upgrading these coins. This is when you hope that you're desicions were wise enough to get back the money paid or make a profit.