• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody else get one of these?

16 posts in this topic

You are receiving this email as a client of David Lawrence Rare Coins. We wanted to let you know about an exciting development. Ownership of DLRC acquired the assets of certification company, PCI, in February 2008 and the following announcement was made this week.

DLRC will be a market maker for DGS certified coins and we will offer special rates for clients who consign coins in DGS holders to our auctions. Stay tuned for more announcements soon.

In the meantime, we hope you will consider submitting your coins for certification to DGS.

Sincerely yours,

John Feigenbaum

President

Hmmmm, No more PCI, now DGS doh!

MM :popcorn:

What's DGS? And what does it stand for? Seems to me that many predicted that a name change was in the works for PCI - they need to rebrand themselves to try and pull themselves up into the second tier of TPGS.

It's Dominion Grading Service. I really don't know why DLRC bought PCI, and then completely changed it to DGS. Maybe they just wanted a shell of a TPG?

Also, I don't think that DGS will be ANYTHING like PCI. They've changed the name, changed owners, changed graders (?)... I don't think it will be the same old PCI.

I got the email today but I saw the announcement ATS a couple of days ago. I think he originally wanted to keep the name bud decided there was too much bad karma. He did get a slab sealer and some slabs cheap I suppose.

Here's the new web site. It sounds like they are going to do things right. Who knows if it will work for them or not though. (shrug)

DGS

I got the email today but I saw the announcement ATS a couple of days ago. I think he originally wanted to keep the name bud decided there was too much bad karma. He did get a slab sealer and some slabs cheap I suppose.

Without hearing about what was said, I would think that DLRC would change the name because of the issues with PCI.

A couple of interesting items to point out:

• Regarding submission of old PCI slabs for cross over, their FAQ says: "e do not guarantee that the coins will grade the same after re-evaluation. There is a strong chance that coins will regrade lower in the DGS holder as our standards will be stricter than PCI."
  • They will grade problems coins: "Coins with problems that were not noted in PCI holders will be labeled as such in the DGS holders." But it does not say anything about variety or other services (I'm sure it is there, I just have not found it)
  • An interesting new feature: VISUAL POPULATION REPORT! They will image every coin graded worth over $100 and add it their Visual Population Report.

The Visual Population Report is interesting. They combine it with their "AuthentiVIEW" technology. It looks like they will note that the coin is "AuthentiVIEW" imaged on the reverse label so that anyone can verify the coin visually online.

I found their submission tiers here, but it does not give the difference between "Budget, US" and "Standard, US" except for the turnaround times and number of coins submitted. I wonder if those are the only differences?

Anyway, I wish them luck. Right now, I think ANACS and ICG need competition other than each other to in the second tier. Who knows... maybe they will be able to compete against the Big Boys, some day!

Scott :hi:

Hmm, they've got a couple of things that have potential - that free imaging of every coin is a good catch, and the Signature series is a good idea. If they have conservative grading, quick turnarounds, and can weather the storm, they might have something going for them.

I wish they had a press release to let me know why I would want to put coins into their slabs when they have zero marketability and for the same price or less I can have them in a well known slab.

I expect this venture to be a quick failure.

It looks like threads about this are going "poof" ATS. I know for a while any thread that contained the initials "CAC" in it went away. Now they are running scared of this new contender and threat to their business called "DGS". :insane:

They definitely should have chosen a better acronym. It will be just a short while before DGS coins are being called "DoGS" - not necessarily because of the grading, but just because of the way people are!

They definitely should have chosen a better acronym. It will be just a short while before DGS coins are being called "DoGS" - not necessarily because of the grading, but just because of the way people are!

I was thinking maybe "DiGS", but you are probably correct.

I wish they had a press release to let me know why I would want to put coins into their slabs when they have zero marketability and for the same price or less I can have them in a well known slab.

hm That's my guess. How many TPGs do you really even need?

hm That's my guess. How many TPGs do you really even need?

Which brings up the point, how many stickers do you really even need?

MM :popcorn: