• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on Grading and NCS-darkside related

7 posts in this topic

Gentlepersons, I just recieved a darkside coin back from NGC graded PF61BN, it's a 1795 pattern halfpenny. I'm putting this in US coins as you guys may have more experience with these submissions, and the question would apply regardless of where the coin came from. Anyway I was really surprised,I had expected a PF64 or 65 grade on it as the surfaces are better than my two 64's.

Taped to the holder was a note saying "This NGC coin certification # xxxx has been evaluated and is a good candidate for NCS conservation. Contact NCS directly etc.".

The only issue I can see is that the toning is not even, some gold, some medium brown, some darker brown.

Is this a polite way of telling me to get NCS to clean the coin and then it will get a grade commensurate with it's state of preservation?

1795RestrikePfHalfPenny.jpg

1795RestrikePfHalfPennyREV.jpg

Your photos make the coin look like the surfaces are not pristine, they seem to have a layer of gunk on them. NGC was probably thinking that NCS could get this gunk off.

I have had the same thing happen twice. After conservation, the grade bump was one point (from a PR-64 RB to a PR-65 RB) and two points (from an MS-62 to MS-64). The coins defnitely look better but in my case I do not believe they made that commnet for this reason.

The reverse looks to have thick oxidation on it. If this were removed the mirrors would probably be greatly increased. This could result in a grade bump.

All I can say is that most of the time when I see a copper coin that they have "conserved" to me it looks "stripped". If you do send it to them I would make sure you have some very good before pictures that you can use to try and get compensation if it comes back looking gastly.