• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slabs

7 posts in this topic

Well it looks to me that NGC is better for many other reasons.

Great job on the consumer alert NGC!!

I don't see how they think that NGC is helping the counterfeiters.

If you own an NGC slab you can clearly see the label and hologram.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to copy the label.

The counterfeiters are just going to copy the bar code of a real slab.

Be fair, NGC took five months from the time their fakes were identified until they issued their warning, Time to get ahold of examples and study them in depth. PCGS issued theirs just two days after the fakes were discovered, working from bad online photos. Naturally the NGC warning was more detailed.

I don't see how they think that NGC is helping the counterfeiters.

By pointing out all of the differences between the real NGC slab and the known fakes, the counterfeiters know what to change on their next batch of slabs.

By pointing out all of the differences between the real NGC slab and the known fakes, the counterfeiters know what to change on their next batch of slabs.

The counterfeiter just didn't make a good copy.

All you need is a real slab and you could have figured out everything NGC

pointed out.

I think that PCGS and NGC just need to figure more secure measures to keep the slabs from being counterfieted. Giving out the diagnostics will not fix things. As stated in the article, it only gives the counterfieters more information to improve thier slabs. You've noticed that the mint has been changing the bills to help prevent counterfieting to more secure measures, this is also what needs to be done to slabs.

You've noticed that the mint has been changing the bills to help prevent counterfieting to more secure measures, this is also what needs to be done to slabs.

And it is being done. NGC said they have a new slab in the works with more anti-conterfeiting features that should be ready soon, and my guess is that PCGS has been working on it as well. After all they saw the fake NGC's months ago so they had to know theirs woud be targeted as well. PCGS has had seven months to work on a new slab before theirs was faked so if they were a good proactive company theirs should be ready to roll out shortly as well.