• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879 Proof Morgan Question

7 posts in this topic

I bought this 1879 Proof Morgan in a NGC PF-65 Holder. It was ugly, ugly, ugly. But still a PF-65. I cracked it out and submitted to PCGS. They body-bagged it as a "questiionable color".

Well, Now I have a raw (but previously NGS PF-65) Morgan. OK, I dip it lightly and it brightens up and looks pretty good. Here is the photos. Should I submit to NGC/PCGS, or ????

THANKS for your opinions.

294416-1879.jpg.721f6b094f2a80aedc49e1cab8381268.jpg

Quite honestly, I don't like the look of the coin at all. It looks like it is washed out. Poor luster probably the result of dipping too dark toning. Maybe some more work will help it?

As for where to submit, PCGS & NGC grade the proof Morgans the same, so either will do. However, I'd personally go to NGC since PCGS already got your money and screwed you.

Quite honestly, I don't like the look of the coin at all. It looks like it is washed out. Poor luster probably the result of dipping too dark toning.

Greg's got it 95% right - coin was once quite toned, dipping has left is "washed out' due to the heavy toning having "etched' the surface of the coin. THere's probably still strong mirrors on the coin as you rotate the coin in the light, but looking at it straight on, it probably looks dull, so there's NOTHING more that can be done to this coin - any further dipping or playing with the coin will only further damage the surfaces of this coin - that grey "haze" cannot be removed - its in the metal - if you had a really high powered microscope, you'd be able to see the surface damage.

Maybe some more work will help it?

Not a chance - it'll only make it worse - it may be a permanent BB coin if the impairment of the surfaces is too "heavy".

NEVER dip really darkly toned silver coins - very stong chance you'll regret it!

Not 100% true - BUT ruining 9 out of 10 is not a good way to retain the value of anything expensive.

Oh well.

It's still a nice example of Proof Morgan Dollar. If it was a PF-65 from NGC, a light dipping should should still make it a desirable coin. Plus it just looks better than before, regardless of the assinged grade.

Maybe some more work will help it?

Not a chance - it'll only make it worse - it may be a permanent BB coin if the impairment of the surfaces is too "heavy".

NEVER dip really darkly toned silver coins - very stong chance you'll regret it!

Not 100% true - BUT ruining 9 out of 10 is not a good way to retain the value of anything expensive.

There are dark areas around the rim and minor spots that I was referring to. I think the "haze" is there to stay. However, he might be able to make the coin more appealing by removing some of these problems.

Try NCS and see what they say. They'll ship it off to NGC after.