• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1900 Layfayette grading.

6 posts in this topic

I liked the first pic better with the piece of food stuck to it. grin.gif

The coin looks unc. Beyond that it is hard to tell. Looks like it could use a dip.

Probably not better than MS63 due to the weak strike.

That piece of food seemed to have been in an interesting position.

I bought this coin way back when. It is mostly white (which the scans may not show very well) so no reason to dip it. Not too much luster though, but I don't know if these Layfayettes normally have a lot of luster. Most of the ones I have seen (and it's not been that many) have ugly toning.

Really hard to tell from the scan - doesn't look like it has any luster, but that could be the picture. If no luster, may have been dipped one too many times - also, can't tell if that's rub on the high spots, so could be AU58, could be MS62 - doubt if it would be better than MS63 even at the "loose" TPGSs

The coin looks like it has been cleaned with an abrasive like baking soda. I'd say it has Mint State sharpness, but if there is no luster, not even between the letters, it can't net grade above EF. If the coin is as dull as it looks, PCGS and NGC will probably decline to grade it aka body bag.

Original examples of these coins are usually dark gray from the original packaging. Most white ones that look like this have been cleaned

Sorry frown.gif