• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheap(?) Lincoln Proofs

14 posts in this topic

Recently, I placed some bids on the bay for some newer Lincoln Proofs. Just figured what the heck...put a low bid, maybe something will happen.

Got an 88s,92s,93s and a 94s...all PCGS PF69DCAM for a grand total of $4.26, 3 of them for 0.99. The serial numbers checked out, so I know they are authentic.

My question: Is there that little interest in the newer Lincoln proofs, or is it too easy to get 70DCAM's? I know these don't retail for alot, but still....$4.26 for all 4?....Did I score a really good deal or does everybody else already have these and have no reason to go after 69's?

good prices, but dime a dozen coins.. like who cares type coins. there's gotta be a trillion 69 dcam's for those dates.. why do people even send them in? like i just found a eleven of em behind my toilet.

overall you scored.. good work, and i mean that you know what i mean

To me personally - not a great deal. You can get these exact same coins for about a quarter apiece at just about any coin show. Now, if you are in a locale where attending shows is difficult, then they are a pretty good deal.

Or, for someone who simply only collects slabs, then that was a great deal! But I think that a very large percentage of modern proofs ARE 68s and 69s, so for me, certification adds no value whatsoever, and in fact it's a negative, since I would only have interest in such coins for placement in an album, and buying them slabbed means extra effort to crack them out :) !

They are a good deal if you are looking to fill holes in your registry set. I had to pay $8 or so to fill that Proof set hole in my set. But as James says these coins are really only worth a quarter or 50 cents.

Of course those 50 cent coins need to be protected in some inert holder that costs more than the coin is worth. Otherwise there is 99% chance that they will go bad and be worth no more than a cent. (shrug) PCGS and NGC slabs seem to do a pretty got job of protecting these coins in you store them in a dry environment at constant temperatures.

I drive a semi...long haul, not home much. Which pretty much rules out going to shows, not like they have any near Omaha where I live. I like slabbed coins just because that way I know exactly what they are. I've never really been any good at grading raw ones, and this is easier. And I am trying to fill a registry set, and on the limited budget I am on...the cheaper I can get them the better. It's not like I always have an extra $100 to send in 5 coins to get them graded. Thanks for the input..:smile:

I drive a semi...long haul, not home much. Which pretty much rules out going to shows, not like they have any near Omaha where I live. I like slabbed coins just because that way I know exactly what they are. I've never really been any good at grading raw ones, and this is easier. And I am trying to fill a registry set, and on the limited budget I am on...the cheaper I can get them the better. It's not like I always have an extra $100 to send in 5 coins to get them graded. Thanks for the input..:smile:

BTW, I assume that the S&H added a certain cost to those coins? In any case, given all the above constraints you did just fine. After all, for 4ish bucks you can't go wrong. Let's face it, compare the pleasure you will get out of the coins compared to the gallon of gas or couple of cups of coffee that that amount of money will purchase.

That fact that I don't collect moderns has no baring on what I am about to say....

You did just fine and enjoy the coins (thumbs u

There are plenty of cheap slabs out their with coins worth owning so go get them :headbang:

I think you did good. I paid a little more than that for raw proofs for my album a while back. Nice pickup price I'd say.

The serial numbers checked out, so I know they are authentic.

this is disturbing on a couple levels

I checked them out online at 'thatothergradingcompanyacrossthestreet'.com before bidding...I know there are fakes out there..just wanted to cover my before committing...

:grin:

all PCGS PF69DCAM for a grand total of $4.26

I tip the valet that brings me my car more than that, and all he gives me is something I already own.

Great Job!