• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just picked up this 2 Cent piece and would appreciate any comments.

21 posts in this topic

Not knowing the series well I was drawn to this piece and picked it up for the look of it. I love the die cracks and the luster. Otherwise I'd be interested what you all think of it. DSCN2509cr.jpg

DSCN2510cr.jpg

Historical year, historical coin...who's holder is that in?

"WE" is very strong!

That's an NGC holder. MS64RB.

The spot harvey8542 mentioned doesn't look as bad in hand. I agree, it does detract.

So that would be considered a strong "WE"? Cool.

So that would be considered a strong "WE"? Cool

"WE" is usually the first thing you look at with these 2 centers, highest point on that side of the coin, so it is the first thing that would indicate wear/rub.

Looked like a MS coin from the very fist glimps, but careful study of a common dianostic as such will usually reveal condition.

I'm going to guess the luster and red color are quite a bit stronger in person than in the image. I like the coin.
Is that because you don't think a "RB" should look like that, or is there some other reason? ;)

I'm going to guess the luster and red color are quite a bit stronger in person than in the image. I like the coin.
Is that because you don't think a "RB" should look like that, or is there some other reason? ;)

I agree with James because I don't think there is enough red for the RB designation if the coin looks in hand like the picture. I have several brown and red/brown two cent pieces and I know that the angle of the light can make a big difference in the way the color looks. The line between B, RB and Red is fuzzy just like the line between grades. Some "color liners" could go either way on any given TPG day.

I agree with James because I don't think there is enough red for the RB designation if the coin looks in hand like the picture. I have several brown and red/brown two cent pieces and I know that the angle of the light can make a big difference in the way the color looks. The line between B, RB and Red is fuzzy just like the line between grades. Some "color liners" could go either way on any given TPG day.

I agree that the images make it appear as if the coin deserves a "BN" rather than a "RB" color designation - hence my question to James. However, as you mentioned, "The line between B, RB and Red is fuzzy just like the line between grades". Also, on some occasions, "RB" copper turns to "BN" and "RD" turns to "RB" after being holdered. ;)

Actually, my thinking was that this looks like a scan, and from my own experience scanning coins (for many years, I couldn't afford a digital camera), coins like this tend to be more lustrous, and a bit redder in hand.

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, it does exhibit more luster in hand than in the image. I guess I have to work on my technique since that's twice this week I've heard that my images look like scans.

I suspect the coin in-hand is a bit more lustrous and red. To me, the spots are a both a distraction as well as a sign of originality but likely grade-limit the coin. Overall, I like the coin and the grade seems fair. Thanks for sharing...Mike