• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Slab Experts and/or Binion Morgan Guys... Question...

13 posts in this topic

I know NGC holdered the Binion hoard of Morgan dollars a variety of ways, but the few I've seen circulated did not receive a grade.

Here is one I picked up a few years ago (right when the hoard was released) that is well circulated (I actually thought at one point it was a die set-up coin as the rims look too full for the grade).

It is also graded G 6 with the Binion label/insert.

Is this something NGC was going to do and possibly after this one was graded, decided against it?

Any other speculations or possible answers would be appreciated! Again, in the years following me picking up this one I've yet to see a circulated grade placed on a Binion Morgan.

Thanks!

1921x.jpg1921xx.jpg

Here is a link about the Binion Collection Pat that might be of some use. By the looks of this article, all the binions received grades by NGC.

Thanks, that's good reading...

There are some Uncirculated Binions that didn't receive numerical grades, but most did.

I can't find another circulated Binion that received a grade other than mine.

Thanks, that's good reading...

There are some Uncirculated Binions that didn't receive numerical grades, but most did.

I can't find another circulated Binion that received a grade other than mine.

I've sold an XF-45 within the last two weeks on eBay, and can remember selling at least a handful of other circulated examples in the XF-40 - AU range, but yours is actually the first I've seen below XF-40.

Thanks James,

Maybe that's it.

By the way, what do you think of the full rims yet Good details of this 21?

I still think there is something interesting going on with this Morgan.

Braddick, I think I know what you're getting at, but I would not agree that this coin was specially (or improperly) struck. By comparison to dollars struck off the 19th century hubs, rims on a 1921 Morgan dollar are comparatively "taller", especially with respect to the relief of the devices. Of course, I'm hardly a Morgan dollar expert, but I'm pretty sure that's correct.

Excellent!

Thanks James. Interesting how yours shows BINION COLLECTION on the insert yet mine doesn't.

The serial number on James' specimen is higher. Maybe NGC decided to modify the insert for greater visibility.

Chris

I just sold 30 coins on 3-bay. They all made a profit except for 3 coins. And of those 3 that lost money, the two Binion Pedigreed coins were among them. They didn't just lose money, it was a pathetic, loss of face loss. :þ

0208_1.JPG

822f_1.JPG

The 63 sold for $50 and the 64 sold for $58.

Pat, have you considered the possibility that the slab and label for your coin are counterfeits from China, aimed at profiting from collectors seeking super low grade examples? :o

:devil:

Victor, next time, ask me if I'd be interested before you list them?

Chris :(

I would have preferred to give them to you than to see them go so cheap. :sorry: