• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Sales Result - No Sale - My Shipping Policy?

38 posts in this topic

I have no problems with your shipping policy...it is your right to charge what you consider fair...if your combined shipping discount is clearly stated then you are clear of any fault....

I charge $4 for shipping and although I have no negative feedbacks in over a year and 300+ transactions-I do have pieces of my star rating missing on the shipping cost response on feedback.....

I don't want to cover my costs...it's just the time to write an ad/listing...the invoicing...filling/packaging/stuffing envelopes and running to the post office...factor in the cost of envelopes and tape/2X2's mylars etc...and also my post office is 6 miles from my house ( I live in a rural area in southern Maryland which requires crossing bridges and such to get places)..that's a 12 mile round trip..half a gallon of gas ( $1.60+)...it adds up

I often lose money on shipping larger lots of coins and never complain...

I think people who almost exclusively buy and don't sell on ebay aren't fully aware of the potential costs involved.....

PS:...someone please tell me a site where I can get 25c bubble mailers please...I'm overpaying obviously

I also think that that 24hr time frame is unrealistic. Many sellers will give a week.

Examples please ... as that comment is unrealistic

Why? Numerous ebay sellers have combined listings ending up to a week apart. If they know I am interested in items they still have listed that will end in a few days, they usually are more than happy to combine shipping, and in most cases will only add the marginally higher insurance cost.

I'm positive the policy yields the best bottom-line results for the way eBay is currently set up. Don't forget that bidders can filter and sort items with free shipping to the top of their searches, and I assure you, they do that!

(Incidentally, I also include "free shipping" for direct website sales.)

Just saying - it's an option you may want to consider.

James, so this means higher bids have more than made up for the cost of free shipping?

Most of my recent sales (and likely prospective sales) are to buyers outside the United States. I send most items registered mail to reduce the risk of loss and charge a flat $15. After I buy the insurance, I usually lose money on shipping but I consider it a cost of business because I get good prices for my items. Of the items you mentioned, mailing the item is tihe biggest inconvenience.

I'm positive the policy yields the best bottom-line results for the way eBay is currently set up. Don't forget that bidders can filter and sort items with free shipping to the top of their searches, and I assure you, they do that!

(Incidentally, I also include "free shipping" for direct website sales.)

Just saying - it's an option you may want to consider.

James, so this means higher bids have more than made up for the cost of free shipping?

That, my friend, is indeed the secret.

Also, believe it or not, I've several times had a bidder include a couple of extra dollars just to "help out" on shipping.

I also want to add that I don't think $5.95 is too high for shipping with Ins.. Priority mail is $4.60 and I think Ins. is $1.35.