• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The spark of curousity that all collectors have. Share your stories

9 posts in this topic

When I was growing up throughout my life I went through several "stages". First it was beanie babies when I was younger, and whenever I went into one of those shops I got a euphoria like the saying says " a kid in the candy store". Everytime my interests or cycle would shift, this same euphoria of wonder and amazement, exciting feeling went with each interest .

I used to collect rocks too,and I used to be a pretty good magician when I was a kid. I started my own magic business with my dad called london bridge magic. I would perform tricks at the swapmeet and sell them. When I walked into the magic shop my eyes light up and I was addicted to knowing the "secret" to the tricks shown to me. I would practice for hours a day, perfecting a sleight of hand called the retention vanish. but something that has always interested me since I was 6 years old was coins.

I remember going to this girls house when I was 6 and looking through some of her world coins. She let me keep a few of them, and when she went to greece with her mother she bought me back 2 coins from greece and put them in a pouch. Still have them to this day. In fourth grade, one of the students there gave me a silver korean olypmic coin. Still, when I go into a coin store I get excited, and a feeling of wonder and amazmon still comes over me, just like when I was a child

Well thanks for reading this. I didn't intend it to go this long. If you want, you can see me performing some of my magic with sponges here:

On a side note..

A few people told me on my other thread (notes expanded) that it could possibly be getting into the WYNTK thread. I would absolutely love this so I PM'd arch , an admin to possibly get it into that thread. I haven't heard back from him yet, so I can only assume it wouldn't make it. This was several days ago. I don't know what to do.

Not bad with the majic Kevin. Do you still practice and are you adding more tricks? I was interested in majic when I was younger but I never had the patience to practice like I needed to. If you're good at it though there can be good money in it. Guy I went to school with was really into it and practiced all the time. By the time he was a teenager he was performing at birthday parties and for organizations. A year after he got out of high school he won the state magicians competition and was performing full time. He's made quite a name for himslf at it. You've probably heard of him. Lance Burton

Not bad with the majic Kevin. Do you still practice and are you adding more tricks? I was interested in majic when I was younger but I never had the patience to practice like I needed to. If you're good at it though there can be good money in it. Guy I went to school with was really into it and practiced all the time. By the time he was a teenager he was performing at birthday parties and for organizations. A year after he got out of high school he won the state magicians competition and was performing full time. He's made quite a name for himslf at it. You've probably heard of him. Lance Burton

Cool. One of my first jobs out of the Navy in the very early '90's, I worked as a bug cop--an exterminator. I sprayed Lance Burton's house in Vegas. He was a nice guy, kind of anal but cool. He had problems with moles, btw. :þ

Pardon my age, but who is Lance Burton?

I collected rocks also. My dad was a mining promoter in Montreal and used to go look at many of the old ninteeth century, mined out, gold and silver mines in various places in the U.S. and Canada. I would go out into the old uncrushed, ore dumps and look for pieces of rock with copper, cobalt, zinc, lead sulfates, or native silver and gold, to keep as souvenirs.

Kevin,

How funny, I did magic as a kid as well, used to do birthday parties, etc. and befriended a retired magician in Texas who owned a shop and actually used me in a couple of shows doing the old person in bag, in trunk escape/replacement.

I too also collect minerals and fossils since my original degree is in Geology. As with the coins, my father got me started on the minerals since he was in the oil business. I also collected stamps, my great uncle was a post master at a small post office in West Texas.

Rey

He's a Vegas headliner, one of the best magicians in the country. Do a search on his name on youtube and you'll find several of his performances.