• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which coin is NOT FS? Answer posted

27 posts in this topic

I did my best at imaging through the holders, so I hope all of you can make a decent judgement.

I'm a little confussed, and a little "green" at this whole FS designation and would like some advice/information about it. Some of you might have seen the coin in question so please do not give anything away, I know Bobby (bsshog40 ) has seen it.....please don't say anything Bobby. :hi:

All three coins are in PCGS or NGC holders but one does not have the FS designation.

Guess away!

PCGS66FS.jpg

NGC67.jpg

NGC67FS.jpg

Another question, what could the "hazing" on coin #3 be from?

Thanks again,

Ray

Is there different FS standards for certain years?

Thanks again,

Ray

I will disqualify myself because of past correspondence.

To answer your question, in the hobby, normally 1938-1989 only require 5 full steps in order for them to qualify for that designation.

The more modern Jeffersons require the 6 full steps.

I'm not quite sure what the grading services do reguarding years to qualify, maybe someone can carlify that part.

Is there different FS standards for certain years?

Thanks again,

Ray

I will disqualify myself because of past correspondence.

To answer your question, in the hobby, normally 1938-1989 only require 5 full steps in order for them to qualify for that designation.

The more modern Jeffersons require the 6 full steps.

I'm not quite sure what the grading services do reguarding years to qualify, maybe someone can carlify that part.

I almost forgot about you Wooden.......Thanks for :shy:

Ray

pic 3 isnt the fs top 2 are(imo). they haze looks like pvc to me.

(thumbs u not PVC

I agree with Irvin here. I've seen this type of hazing on jeffs before. Not sure what causes it, but I don't think it's damaging except for the looks.

pic 3 isnt the fs top 2 are(imo). they haze looks like pvc to me.

(thumbs u not PVC

I agree with Irvin here. I've seen this type of hazing on jeffs before. Not sure what causes it, but I don't think it's damaging except for the looks.

IMHO it does not look like the "haze" is on the coin, but what do I know?

Thanks again,

Ray

<

Are you sure the hazing is on the coin and not on the inside of the plastic?

I have seen this on the coin but you could also be right WJ. The best way to tell is to try to tilt the slab sideways and maybe shine a small light on the coin and see if the light reflects off the coin or hidden under the haze.

The last coin looks like a silver war nickel and this "hazing" that you see is actually quite common on these and also common on silver coins that have been stored for quite a while in paper rolls. Therefore, I would bet that the last coin had spent a number of years in a paper roll before it was sold individually.

I did my best at imaging through the holders, so I hope all of you can make a decent judgement.

I'm a little confussed, and a little "green" at this whole FS designation and would like some advice/information about it. Some of you might have seen the coin in question so please do not give anything away, I know Bobby (bsshog40 ) has seen it.....please don't say anything Bobby. :hi:

All three coins are in PCGS or NGC holders but one does not have the FS designation.

Guess away!

PCGS66FS.jpg

NGC67.jpg

NGC67FS.jpg

Another question, what could the "hazing" on coin #3 be from?

Thanks again,

Ray

I haven't seen the whole thread, so I don't know if its been answered yet. So...all three look at least 5 steps. #1 is 5 FS, the next 2 are 6FS. The thrid coin has haze on it that usually developes on coins sent to PCGS in pvc flips...i have had this happen on PCGS submissions. I'm not sure if the cuase is actually pvc or something else.

The last coin looks like a silver war nickel and this "hazing" that you see is actually quite common on these and also common on silver coins that have been stored for quite a while in paper rolls. Therefore, I would bet that the last coin had spent a number of years in a paper roll before it was sold individually.

Last coin is the 43D (thumbs u

Ray

The FS designation is tough to get Ray. The 1st & 3rd jeffs look to be 5 FS, while the #2 coin looks to have some possible merging between steps 2 & 3. Very nice Jeffs and grades BTW.

Number 3 does not appear to be full step, although apparently is. Number 2 is an old NGC type of slab but I do not know what the dates of it would be. I have an early FS nickel that is in the same generation of slab. Maybe someone else can expand on this dating.

I'll bet if you resubmitted that sucker you'd get FS without any problems. I know NGC didn't start designating FBL till well into their history, so it stands to reason that FS would not have been on early slabs either.

I'll bet if you resubmitted that sucker you'd get FS without any problems. I know NGC didn't start designating FBL till well into their history, so it stands to reason that FS would not have been on early slabs either.

I told him the same thing but I bet it would not hold the MS-67 with a FS designation, I would be willing to bet anything that it would drop a point to MS-66 with the FS if it were to be re-submitted, even if re-submitted in the original holder!

Of course anything is possible, it's always a gamble as to exactly how it will be returned.

I told him the same thing but I bet it would not hold the MS-67 with a FS designation, I would be willing to bet anything that it would drop a point to MS-66 with the FS if it were to be re-submitted, even if re-submitted in the original holder!

Of course anything is possible, it's always a gamble as to exactly how it will be returned.

We do not want to go there ...

YES they will degrade the coin WITH OUT a REGRADE authorization under a designation review

I am SELLING ALL MY MULTI SLABS BECAUSE OF THIS POLICY