• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Washington Lovers...found (5) 1957 Type B reverses in original mint sets

22 posts in this topic

So I have found a total of (5) toned 1957 Type B reverses in these sets in the past month......none from any other 1956-1958 sets.....now the question is......is there any premium for these and do the TPGs notate this on the holders as a variety if requested? (I was told PCGS yes....NGC no)

Latest one....

1957MintSet4171.jpg

1957MintSet4174.jpg

I have only received one back so far from grading.....came back and NGC MS66 and what I can tell you already is that in almost every case....the obverse is fully PL which is probably already well known to the Washington collectors.....one can conclude worn proof dies were used for the obverse of these coins as well as the reverse...

1957MintSet2030.jpg

1957MintSet2035.jpg

ForSale069.jpg

ForSale074.jpg

and the others....

1957MintSet3140.jpg

1957MintSet3143.jpg

1957MintSet3145.jpg

1957MintSet3146.jpg

1957unopenedset085.jpg

1957unopenedset088.jpg

Personally I like them as the surfaces look great one these coins with brilliant PL finishes that make them drip with luster :D

Those quarters are unreal! How did you get such good photo's of the toning? I have a hard time getting the toning to show correctly in my photo's. Super coins...

Fantastic Coins. There is only one way they could look better, if they joined my collection. Put them up on the block and I will get one for sure.

My favorite is the first one!

Can you explain the difference between a type A and type B reverse?

Thanks in advance...

Copied from a thread over on PCGS:

The ES separation in STATES is greater

The top of the M of UNUM brackets IB of PLURIBUS just above it.

The leaf touching the arrowhead points now juts above them

The top and bottom arrowhead barbs are apparently missing (they are still there but overwhelmed by the field deeping there)

The stem end is parallel to the T of Quarter rather than angleing upward

The leaf by A of DOLLAR is connected by a solid bridge. The leaf on "A" is very faint and does not connect.

There are more differences, but I think I hit most of the major ones.

Those quarters are unreal! How did you get such good photo's of the toning? I have a hard time getting the toning to show correctly in my photo's. Super coins...

I got skills kid lol

Actually....good camera...good lighting....and the fact that I image all of my coins raw before certifying them all guarantees good image quality. Slabs are more of a challenge but I have been perfecting my technique for several years now and I use difused lighting for the color shots when the coins are slabbed.

Thanks in advance...

The top and bottom arrowhead barbs are apparently missing (they are still there but overwhelmed by the field deeping there)

The leaf by A of DOLLAR is connected by a solid bridge. The leaf on "A" is very faint and does not connect.

Thanks again for the info, I will be on the look-out for this reverse type...

The easiest marker to spot with the naked eye is that leaf attached to the "A"......that's a dead giveaway and that's the first thing I look for (thumbs u

1957MintSet2035a.jpg

Shane those are awesome. I recently purchased a 1954, 1956, and 1958 mint sets and the toning on these coins are awesome. I put some of them in my albums if I needed them and the rest I am packaging to send to NGC for grading.

Thanks in advance...

For me, the easiest method of determining this Type is to look at where the leaves come up to the arrows on the left. On the Type A reverse, there is a gap between the leaf and the arrow tips while on the Type, not only does the leaf rise above the tips, but there is no gap.

WashingtonReverseTypes-45.jpg

Honestly...once you know what you are looking for....all of the markers jump out at you.....I look at the bridged A and then look at the E & S gap as a finalize but yes the arrows are a very easy one to use as well.

I don't know if these will ever be a really popular variety but it would seem to me that with the scarcity of some of these coins.....there will be more collectors interested in them down the road. (thumbs u

1956 is a bugger to locate and 1964 and 1962 aren't easy either!

Then there's the 64-D Type C (Rev of 65) and the 68-D & 69D Type B's as well.

It's endless I tell ya! Endless!

1956 is a bugger to locate and 1964 and 1962 aren't easy either!

Then there's the 64-D Type C (Rev of 65) and the 68-D & 69D Type B's as well.

It's endless I tell ya! Endless!

lol lol lol

Ok ok we get it don't keel over on us (thumbs u