• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canon Powershot SX100IS (Caution, big pictures)

11 posts in this topic

I just got my new camera in the mail today, and all I can say is I like it! I forget who recommended it to me, but this is the best camera I've ever owned. I immediately pulled out a bustie and tried photoing it, with great results. So I experimented with a Frankie that I really like, tell me how I did and how I can improve. My camera came with a tripod, so I was using that, and I have a single light (one of those curly cue halogen things).

55955-IMG_0007.JPG.55b74bcf9fcf39f4016ce189c940167e.JPG

55956-IMG_0011.JPG.1250c18667e8cb269bc5925430268a0a.JPG

55957-IMG_0024.JPG.9a05bfb3a22f225a1d4b157c7328ae80.JPG

55958-IMG_0025.JPG.934aa428c01919730222199d9745fdc0.JPG

55959-IMG_0028.JPG.bdbb24f4c9f0144d0d132cf10013c201.JPG

55960-IMG_0016.JPG.cd7c916c4841e5cc6e72801ada7afaed.JPG

I was one of the ones to recommend it since I have one. I was outside taking some pics the other day and dropped it on a concrete step. It bounced down two more steps before coming to a rest. It was completely undamaged. Cool. :cool:

Looks to me like you are well on your way to taking some darn good images of these widgets!

Since I do not image very well myself, I shall not critique your technique but the Bustie and Frankie #1 look pretty good!

You will greatly improve with time and lighting.

~Woody~

Need to adjust your white balance...that frankie looks kinda yellowish...

J/K...I gotta get a macro lense for my Canon 30d and learn to use it! Some of you take truly spectacular photos...

More than one light source is the key...plus I prefer GE reveal bulbs especially for toned coins. I think your images out of the box are great which is why I recomended it since that's what I use. More lighting is needed and a custom white balance will ultimately help but youe images don't look off by much.

More than one light source is the key...plus I prefer GE reveal bulbs especially for toned coins. I think your images out of the box are great which is why I recomended it since that's what I use. More lighting is needed and a custom white balance will ultimately help but youe images don't look off by much.

^^

Try two lights. One at 1:30, the other at 10:30. Put them close to (or even abvove) the camera. Experiment with lighing, because each differnt type coin has a particular lighting setup you will like best. But the above is a good starting point for most coins.

I have always been a fan of Canon cameras. I owned an older Canon camera from the 1950s (I forgot the model) and then owned an AE-1 Program. I still have the AE-1 and use it every so often and it still takes great pictures. I love my S2-IS. I think it's a great camera. When it's time to upgrade, I will be getting another Canon.

Scott :hi:

I have an AE-1 Programmable with a wide angle, zoom and 35mm lens. Are they about worthless this day and age? What would they be worth? Thanks for any info.

Those would be nice photos a week after getting the camera, good start Physics-fan. (thumbs u

Good advice on using two lights guys, that's what I do most often for lighting.

My bulb of choice these days are two 75watt globe bulbs, the big ones. I like the even diffuse lighting, easier to control glare and the white balance is set by the camera in a color sampling shot and can always be adjusted to match the coin later.

I also have used two bulbs with different wattage, like a 40 and a 75 to highlight one side of the coins raised devices more than the other side. The good thing about digital cameras is it only costs your time to play around with lighting, I'm always looking at new ways to light my coins to get the photos accurate and natural color along with showing good detail. hm

I agree rex cat....practice make perfect.....I went out last week and bought one of those little ebox portable photo studios....did not work for me at all so it was a complete waste of $99 bucks as it didn't allow enough diffused light to be able to image coins. So what I did was take a razor knife and sliced one of the side panels off it so now I can use my normal lamps and shine down through that panel and it works great. Before I hade an 8X10 frame with tissue paper sandwiched between the panes of glass.....but this is much easier and I get even less glare.

:acclaim:

Nice first pics there Physics. I've had my canon for about a year and a half and still can't get it right all the time.