• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For those purchasing 2-3-20 cent coinage...

30 posts in this topic

Do you see the prices rising in the past several months, about the same, or (gasp!) less?

It's funny, just when I think I see them strengthening, I see some going for what I consider very reasonable (lower) prices. I see some go for nutty prices too. But, overall, the Greysheets show NO change at all! I don't think the retail guides have really budged either.

So, what are your thoughts?

20 cent pieces seem to be rising steadily, 3 cent silver seems to be up and down(currently lower than 3 months ago-at least on ebay) 3 cent nickels seem to be up in higher grades and two cent pieces seem to be rising quickly for higher grades. At least that is how I see it.

Jim

My sights are usually on the circulated grades which is the typical intermediate collector arena. I don't normally look at material in the uncirculated grades because it's typically a different ballgame. I would think (and could be wrong) that you'll have your more well-heeled collectors and investors affect those prices. It seems that anything high grade and classic has a propensity to reach for the sky price-wise as time goes by.

I would think that the "everyman grades" would be a truer indicator as to popularity. Yes, I think you're right about 3CS across the board. 2-centers aren't doing much at all. I think the keys are budging a teeny bit. 3CN are basically dead on the sheets with the exception of auction prices for the rarer dates. 20-centers appear to have leveled off and maybe even dipping a little quite recently.

I was at a show last Sunday and spied a 1872 2 cent piece in a NCG 40 holder hm

I was expecting a price somewhere in the $800 dollar range.......the seller would not budge at anything below his $1050 asking price.

I probably was the one that was not thinking straight. (shrug)

Ray

I've noticed very little movement in two cent pieces lately but maybe a small rise. I have seen some bigger prices on three cent silvers though. Some are just bigger asking prices but I have also seen some strong gains of selling prices, particularly in PCGS holders.

I would have bought the coin if it was all there, esp. if the "WE" was there. Do you know who the dealer was?

Harbor coin, and the "we" was still slightly visible.

The show was in Gurnee, IL, i'm not sure of there location.

Ray

1863-1872 3CS are so rare they're essentially non-entities to me. I've never seen one in person. Prices in any guides for those are completely meaningless. Only the latest auctions prices have any meaning.

Bruce, I did notice an auction earlier today for an 1866 3 cent silver on Ebay-circulated proof-the bid is at $330 currently. Should you be interested it is located here. Ebay

Jim

greysheet does not have a clue

they keep prices artifically low as this is waht most all if not all dealers use to buy from the unsuspecting public

most all dealers cant live without a weekly greysheet even moreso then even food!!

if the sheets prices coins the way they should be the sheets would go out of business really quickly

most prices for early and 19th century rarer type are super way low

for other more modern items the prices are sometimes low and high it all goes on an individual case by case basis

also the grey sheet prices do not take into account original and choice for the grade with tremendous eye appeal in early type coins for the prices quoted IN CIRC GRADES FOR RARER 19TH CENTURY COINS AND EARLY PRE 1815 TYPE you aRE BASICALLY LOOKING AT TURDS FOR THE GRADES

Jim, I should have specified that it was the business strikes that are virtually unavailable. Proofs can be found pretty readily for most years.

1863-1872 3CS are so rare they're essentially non-entities to me. I've never seen one in person. Prices in any guides for those are completely meaningless. Only the latest auctions prices have any meaning.

Scotsman Auction Company had several in their last sale, and they brought very strong bids.

I had started a set of 3cs, had all the Ti and TII coins, but the TIII coins stopped me after getting only a few of them. I kept (1), MS64, 1863, 3CS coin in my Civil War set.

Good to see the 72 deuce is holding up, mine's only a VG-8, but I think I only paid $100 for it.

toni... Thanks. In keeping with the spirit of my lightly circulated Type Set, I pegged this one at AU50 for details and the obverse nicks seemed to be consistent for the grade...although one of them is a bit deep. I paid $60...fairly close to FMV but I liked the color...L

...for that particular date, a key to the series... I think those prices are a tad high. Here's what I found on FMV:

G4-198

VG- 330

F- 420

VF 468

XF 540

AU50- 660

AU53-720

AU55- 840

AU58- 1,200

MS60-1,290

The latest Heritage auctions are a bit higher (and lower in some cases) .

L

I'm not sure what FMV is, but those prices looks a little understated. However, I do agree that Coin Values tends to overstate retail prices many times as I think it is on these now.

I disagree, Coin Values is highly accurate, they were no longer trends a couple of years ago, the gentleman who now does the valuations, Mark Ferguson, takes actual sales from all auctions houses and even removes sales that aren't reflective of reality. CDN does not do that, PCGS gets their valuations from all over the place, some good sources some bad sources. The only problem is Coin Values is often not current that that seems to be being corrected as we speak with their new computer programs newly installed, so prices are being updated as we speak that weren't updated for a year or so.

BTW, if the prices seem hight, that is because they currently are, but as you know everything that goes up must come down, its called cycles/corrections etc.

FMV is "Fair Market Values". Their website can be found at:

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

For most of the stuff I'm interested in, they're pretty close. They do seem to be a bit low (ie unrealistic) on early copper, but the Heritage archives make up for it. The Heritage archives for the 1875CC were fairly close to the FMV prices... at least over the last few years...L

BTW, if the prices seem hight, that is because they currently are, but as you know everything that goes up must come down, its called cycles/corrections etc.

I'm still waiting for common date Saints to get back down to $48 each...

I'm still waiting for common date Saints to get back down to $48 each...

They are, but you have to realize that it takes about 20 2008 dollars to equal one 1950's dollar. :)

Yeah, they were $48 in the early 1970s too! I think you see my point on prices always coming back down...