• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is your preference? a selling question

17 posts in this topic

I am no longer interested in collecting the state quarter proofs and will sell them. As a buyer would you prefer to buy them:

individually,

by the year,

ngc only,

pcgs only,

as a lot,

as a completed set,

it doesn't matter.

As I looked at my set I realized I wasn't certain how to package it to sell. I plan on selling them as a lot but wanted to know if there were arguements for a different approach. Please share your experiences as a seller and a buyer. Thanks

P.S. I tried to do this as poll but screwed it up somehow so :boo:

"by the year"

I began collecting the S clad Proofs but stopped after I bought the 2003's.

I'd like to start buying again and so would be looking for sets by year from 2004 to present.

Although my daughter and I are doing the P & D coins from circulation the S Proofs strike and lustre are, for us, the best examples of the Statehood Quarter program.

Nothing like the heft of the Dansco P & D's except for the "dazzle" factor of the proofs. :)

A complete set is going to only appeal to people with a lot of money who are just starting to collect them, unless you make it a good deal. Same with doing year sets, probably. Individually will take more time and effort, and you always run the risk of having some left over.

I would sell them by the year. I don't think most people could afford to by them by as a complete set. I am trying to back fill the Proof and MS SAE that I have missed and with some of the prices they are commanding....it's one at a time for me and hopefully :wishluck: at prices I can afford!

IF I wanted to start collecting them, and had none so far (which is in fact the case lol ), my personal preference as a buyer would be to get a huge jump start by buying a large lot all at once. However, I would be quite unwilling to pay much extra for certified coins (unless we're talking 69s and 70s). So, I think you'd be best off to sell the raw coins as a lot, and single or pair or triple off the certified coins.

Maybe try for big ticket items first, than if it does not sell, go to smaller lots.

Example… auction a whole set (silver or clad) for strong money as an opening bid. If it sells then you’ve made some good money and your job is a little easier. If it doesn’t sell all you have lost is a 50C listing fee and you can break it into smaller parts.

Good Luck

Sell them in 5 coin sets......Like 2005 Silver Set......2005 Clad Set

Some people only like to collect Silver and some only clad and some both.

The best way is to do 5 coin sets, unless the set has both pcgs and ngc....in this

case I would split them up.

Good Luck!!

sell them both by the year and individually to max your money....sell them in groups of 5 by the metal and proof/BU etc..for each year..EXCEPT, sell the 1999's and 2001's individually...this will net you your biggest money return..

Thanks to all for the input. I was remiss in stating that these are all in my registry set (shrug) I have a mixture of pcgs and ngc and some of the pcgs are flag holders. I was just having difficulty getting my hands around the best approach. :screwy: I didn't state the facts clearly and as a result I sensed some confusion as to my intent so thanks again for those who struggled through the haze to get to my question (worship)

IMHO, I would sell slabbed state quarters individually. I only would buy the coins that I need, not a whole year or set. However, many people might want the whole year of slabbed state quarters.

I agree with selling them by the year. Those looking for the sets may already have some years and not want to invest in an entire set. Those looking for specific years, I feel, would bid more to get that year needed for thier collection.

I am no longer interested in collecting the state quarter proofs and will sell them. As a buyer would you prefer to buy them:

individually,

by the year,

ngc only,

pcgs only,

as a lot,

as a completed set,

it doesn't matter.

As I looked at my set I realized I wasn't certain how to package it to sell. I plan on selling them as a lot but wanted to know if there were arguements for a different approach. Please share your experiences as a seller and a buyer. Thanks

As an eBay buyer myself, I have mixed feelings about this. I'll add that I've also been considering the idea of starting to SELL on eBay myself, and selling some State Quarters has also crossed my mind, particularly as the program is nearing its end, and people may want to go back to the beginning and fill-in early year coins.

That said, I think most people who got into the coins started collecting them at some point, whether they started VERY CLOSE to the beginning, the middle, or much later in the program.

Therefore, I think selling the coins as a COMPLETE SET would probably not net you the best price for your coins because collectors are looking to fill HOLES in their collection, and a complete set would overlap.

Individual coins have SOME advantages for people who have the desire to perhaps UPGRADE a coin, so if you have duplicate or TRIPLICATES, my idea might be to sell higher grade coins like MS or PF70 coins individually when you have a number of the same coin.

Otherwise, I tend to echo what some others have said, sell coins by the year. Collectors who were following the program, if they bought coins, in all likelihood if they bought one coin for say 2003, bought ALL the 2003 coins. Therefore, if they are missing say CLAD PROOF coins for 2002, then sell a set of 5 CLAD PROOF COINS for 2002 as a set of 5, in matching grade, say PF69 or PF70.

I've seen NGC Multi-Holders garner high prices for matched grades for full years like that, whether they be silver sets or clad, especially the higher grades. So, if you have any high grade coins for a full year, they may be worthy of consideration for re-holder by NGC.

Personally, I think PCGS multi-holders are VERY unattractive.

As for whether you should grade with NGC or PCGS, that is a personal preference. Either is highly respectable and either will command a good price. Some people seem to prefer one or the other. Some consider the two interchangeable and are just glad to to get a coin to fill a spot in their collection.

In some cases, you can also probably get good prices just for RAW proof or mint sets, depending on the year. Back to 1999 for instance, 1999 Silver Proof Sets could sell for a bundle without you even having to grade it.

All just ideas, and stuff to think about. I am sure you will get a lot of other ideas.

2c

I have almost completed the PF set over the last few months. (Waiting on the 2008 sets to come down in price)

As for me I have and will buy sets by year even if I had one maybe two of the 5 in the set already.

The main reason was price. Buying them in 5 coin sets by the year I found they had lower prices at “buy It Now” and even auctions VS me buying the 3 or 4 individual to make the year set.

Then I trade or sell off my extras.

So to answer your question Id say individual for the most part and Id agree with jaxons statements.

Plus keep them separate by the grading companies. Mixed lots seem to bring lower prices.

I have the Silver State quarters and I have all of them directly from the U.S.Mint. I have no idea how much they cost as a complete set. I see that some years on the T.V. Shows are selling more than other years. This is clad or silver.I have also seen them sold on these shows as a complete set in either PCGS or NGC Holders.I have never seen them sold individually on these shows.

I only watch these shows a few minutes at a time as there coins are over priced and some of their thoughts are ridiculous but you can gauge relatively by taking these things into consideration.

I have also heard that some States are priced more than others. My mail carrier told me he read an article that the Tennnesse state quarter was more valuable. I don't know if these is true ot not.

If you are going to send them to NGC for grading then each coin will cost $12.50 and a total of 5 in the set means $62.50 just for grading and not postage so if you can't get at least $62.50 + costs then grading them would not pay off.

So it would seem that the best route would be to sell the lesser years as a complete set as raw in the lesser sets and not singly as I would think that most people would not collect just one quarter of each year unless they needed it to fill in a Dansco album.

If there is any one year or any one Quarter then you will have to look at the whole picture . Say one quarter is in a grade that you feel will happen and it is worth x amount of dollars. Then you need to decide if the other 4 will justify the $12.50 each or $50.00 which will make it more valuable as a set ot sending the one for grading and selling the oher four raw. look on Ebay for thise dates to see what is happening.