• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early release?

29 posts in this topic

I sent in 5 2008 W $1 Eagles (Burnished). And asked that they be designated Early Release. I got them back today and they were not designated as Early Release and there was a note on my invoice saying that they do not qualify for Early Release. I don't understand, they were submitted within the first 30 days of release.

I think someone has seriously made an error. And this needs to be corrected.

Need an explanation please.

I'm ready to send them back to have the correct label applied.

I'd suggest that you call customer service, explain what happened and ask what, if anything disqualified the coins from receiving the designation.

Edited to add: Perhaps you will find your answer here

Also just a note, these have to be sent in an unopened package. Original mint package straight from the mailman to NGC.

Contact Customer service and ask why they aren't eligible for early release considering it is still 22 days until the cut-off date.

Sounds like someome can not see a big "W" on the reverse. I shudder to think that really was the case though.... hm

MM

a send back ploy to me!
There is not nearly enough information upon which to reach that conclusion. That seems extremely unfair to NGC.

Edited to add: If it was NGC's error, they won't profit from a resubmission of the coins anyway, as I'm sure they won't charge for it. So, in addition to the "send back ploy" being unfair, it doesn't even make any sense.

a send back ploy to me!
There is not nearly enough information upon which to reach that conclusion. That seems extremely unfair to NGC.

Edited to add: If it was NGC's error, they won't profit from a resubmission of the coins anyway, as I'm sure they won't charge for it. So, in addition to the "send back ploy" being unfair, it doesn't even make any sense.

ok. i understand they dont make money, but do they let you send back cash on delivery? so the person doesnt have to spend 1c on the mess up. or is the non responsable party responsable for the send back shipping cost?

a send back ploy to me!

ok. i understand they dont make money, but do they let you send back cash on delivery? so the person doesnt have to spend 1c on the mess up. or is the non responsable party responsable for the send back shipping cost?

I don't know if NGC will reimburse the submitter for postage in the event that it was their error or not. Either way, however, that has nothing to do with it being a "send back ploy". ;)

I live on the West Coast and by the time I got my mail, Customer Service was closed. I was a bit upset when I opened the box yesterday. So this is where I went to first, to vent a bit. I now see in my upset state I did not post this to the Ask NGC forum as I had intended. So thanks for the responses.

I didn't get a chance to call today until after they closed, so I left a message. And tomorrow my schedule is a bit better, so will be able to call them before they close.

I'm glad some see it the way I did. There is 22 days until the cut off date. Before the original packaging is required. I did my O7's last year with no problem.

I will be asking the same questions as some of you are wondering too.

I see two possible problems here.

1. They were not sent in the original un opened packages direct from the Mail carrier to NGC.

2. Even if they were sent in the original un opened package/s then how do you prove it now that they have been opened etc.

I see two possible problems here.

1. They were not sent in the original un opened packages direct from the Mail carrier to NGC.

2. Even if they were sent in the original un opened package/s then how do you prove it now that they have been opened etc.

Unopened original mint packaging is only required if the coins being submitted for Early Release designation are submitted AFTER the cut-off date.

During the 30 day window of Early Release submissions the coins are simply submitted the same as any other coin with a request to designate as Early Release.

Something goofy happened with this submission but it has nothing to do with "original unopened packages". Given the fact that the cutoff date is still weeks away, its also easily remedied.

Claude,

Trust this-If NGC messed up they will make it right. I just recently endured a foul up that their was no way to repair, yet they did everything in their power to make it right and I feel satisfied with the fact that their solution was the only viable method of atonement. These are good people from Lisa on up who bend over backwards to answer questions(over and over again, I might add), assist with each and every step of an order, regardless of size and with any customer issue that comes up.

I feel 100% confident of this and you will, also, in the end.

Good luck

Jim

Everyhthing I have read gives a specific date they can be submitted for early release designation. This is also determoned by their production at the mint.I have a subscription at the Mint for Silver Eagles among others with the U.S.Mint.

I just got my 2008 SAE today in the mail., There have been 2008 Silver Eagles on E Bay for well over a month as well as on the T,V,Coin shows. The very first ones were on HSN slabbed by ICG.. PCGS appeared on EBAY about two weeks later and finally NGC.

Since they are tied to the first production run and I believe the dates on the Monster boxes submitted to the TPGs then perhaps you can explain to me how I could be sure that I would get the Early Release designation if I submitted the coin tomorrow?

I am not so sure that just because the coins are submitted in a certain time frame that there aren't other qualifying factors such as the date of the first production run etc.THis is why there was a Lawsuit since the U,S, Mint doesn't release first strike information and why it was changed to Early release.

There has to be some other qualifying factor if there is a 30 day window because it has been possible to get Early Release SAEs on EBAY and the T,V, Shows for at least two months

I talked to CS today.

They admit it is their mistake. And was very apologetic. I just need to send them back to have the correct label inserted. They will not charge me anything and will even reimburse me for my postage sending it back.

Since they are tied to the first production run and I believe the dates on the Monster boxes submitted to the TPGs then perhaps you can explain to me how I could be sure that I would get the Early Release designation if I submitted the coin tomorrow?

Because you are confusing the 2008 ASE which are shipped in the Green Monster boxes which have to be sent in by Jan 31st or in a sealed green box that has a packing slip in it dated before Jan 31st, and a 2008 W ASE which are purchased directly from the mint by collectors and whose 30 day window for Early Release does not end until April 24th. After April 24 they have to be in the sealed mint package postmarked earlier than the cut-off date.

The original post was talking about the 2008 W so the April 24th date is the important one.

What difference does it make what the label says? (shrug) Is this hobby Coin Collecting or Slab Collecting?

You are correct.So if the question comes up again for the 2008?My point was that it just isn't the 30 day window that is important is that there are also other qualifiyng factors such as being able to purcahse it from the Mint. Also as you mentioned there is a window for the collectors and others.

The other point which I believed you have mentioned before is that there is no guarantee that the ones that have the "Early release" designation were minted earlier then the ones that don't have it and vice versa.

The Mint has announced often that it does not keep a record of which coins were produced at what time.

Also just a note, these have to be sent in an unopened package. Original mint package straight from the mailman to NGC.

Actually, NGC tells you NOT to submit Original Government Packaging (OGP) with Silver American Eagles (SAEs) because it will NOT be returned to you. The only time in recent years that Original Mint Packaging with outer packages UNOPENED had to be submitted to NGC for any special designation were the 20th Anniversary Gold and Silver American Eagles in 2006, and the Platinum American Eagles in 2007. No other coins have required such procedures from NGC. PCGS, however, may make other allowances for a wider range of coins.

The ONLY requirements for Early Release designation for the 2008-W coins are

1. Be RECEIVED (not just postmarked, but RECEIVED) by NGC by the posted deadline, in this case, 04/24/2008.

2. Select the Modern Special tier for grading, which would require at least 5 coins, and the cost is a little higher than Modern. If fewer than 5 coins, presumably a higher grading tier at a higher cost per coin, but I'd double-check that with NGC.

3. SPECIFY that you want the coins designated as "Early Releases." Just because the coins are received in that time frame, and coins that COULD BE "Early Releases" and are submitted as Modern Special does NOT mean that NGC would automatically put the designation unless it is specifically requested on the invoice.

Early release????? :o

The whole thing is a farce so far as I'm comcerned. I've better things to do with my life as a collector than worry about a whether or not a common modern coin made its way out of the mint at a certain date.

This cartoon sums up my opinion of "early release."

:roflmao:

rantrant

You said it better than me. Still the qualifying factors. are going to depend on the coin and the time frame as compared to the time it was sent out from the Mint.

Yes, the 2008 and the 2008 W are two different coins but the time frame is going to be different for each depending on the production run which was my point and not a specific coin although the time frame does go to the 24th on it.

I do not see the "Early release" as an advantage. If I want an MS69 S.A.E. and did not order it from the U.S.Mint then after attaining the price is fair then I will purchase the Early release if it is cheaper than the MS69 in the brown label and vice versa. They are both MS69 and the designation means nothing to me.

I have talked to NGC and the answer has always been that they :"prefer" that they are not sent in the OGP as they will not be returned.I was talking about the display box itself as well as the COA and the fact tat they are in a capsule.I remove the wrapping and the box etc and put the coin in the plastic capsule inside a 2 1/2 Mylar and submit it as I don't want to try and remoce it from the capsule.

As late as a few months ago there were 20th anniversary sets sold in "sealed" packages direct form the U.S.Mint. so you could qualify them all for the black label. I don't know if this is the case for other coins and only mention it because it is possible.

Then there is the fact that you also mention. It depends on how the submission form is filled out which I would also consider to be a qualifying factor..

Early release????? :o

The whole thing is a farce so far as I'm comcerned. I've better things to do with my life as a collector than worry about a whether or not a common modern coin made its way out of the mint at a certain date.

This cartoon sums up my opinion of "early release."

:roflmao:

rantrant

Early Release 10_4_3.gif36_12_6.gif