• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Coin Caught my Eye - 1885 Morgan -

17 posts in this topic

I like it based on the toning alone, if bajablu believes the dentils are squared and therefore he believes it to be a possible proof that could make sense but Morgans aren't be specialty.

I once read that some forms of toning will eventually turn black. Though you can see a bluish tinge on the perimeter of both the obverse and reverse, I think this coin may have been dipped one too many times because someone didn't like the fact that it was turning black. The lighter areas just inside the perimeter make it look unnatural.

I don't care for it!

Chris

I like the coins deep strike, Mike. Not necessarily the coloring but the hairlines and the eagle's feathers just seem to jump out. I have a similiar coin in an 1878 S, which seems to be coloring the same way, and has quite similiar strike. That is why I purchased this coin as every feature jumps out at you.

Jim

1878SMorganInhand.jpg

And If I said there were ONLY 930 Made ...

Got rid of MY "Chocolate Mountain" Silver Commemorative

Maybe I will replace it with a Chocolate Morgan :)

55796-1885.jpg.eea9aaee02b4f4f1ef561e18b16c89c8.jpg

It is very cool that it is a proof, and that explains the good strike as well. Kudos to bajablu for catching that one. But I still don't like the color.

Me either thats why I kinda like it :cloud9: