• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan dollars: what caused the "one sided toning"?

8 posts in this topic

In Morgan dollars, am i correct in assuming that if one side is brillant white, while the other is toned in some manner (often colorfully), that the white side sat against another coin with virtually no contact with the bag?

That is assuming that these are bag toners, and assuming my theory above is even correct. Is there any other way that a Morgan can be a one-sided toner (i.e. album storage, etc.)? Just curious, as i've seen a lot of one sided Morgan toners these last few years.

In Morgan dollars, am i correct in assuming that if one side is brillant white, while the other is toned in some manner (often colorfully), that the white side sat against another coin with virtually no contact with the bag?

That is assuming that these are bag toners, and assuming my theory above is even correct. Is there any other way that a Morgan can be a one-sided toner (i.e. album storage, etc.)? Just curious, as i've seen a lot of one sided Morgan toners these last few years.

A couple of other reasons such a coin could be a one sided toner include end of the roll (or near end of the roll) storage, or storage in a coin cabinet. Those circumstances certainly don't necessarily result in one sided toning, but they can sometimes account for it.

A couple of other reasons such a coin could be a one sided toner include end of the roll (or near end of the roll) storage, or storage in a coin cabinet. Those circumstances certainly don't necessarily result in one sided toning, but they can sometimes account for it.

I was gonna mention this Mark but I wasn't sure if there were that many rolls of Morgans anymore. Of course, I guess this could pertain to older rolls.

My Father left a MEGHRIG (sp) album in his safe box for 25+ years. Those have the coins touching cardboard one side and plastic on the other. Most of the Morgans were heavily toned blue on the reverse and slight rainbow blue and red on the obverse when we retrieved the album. A bank roll of new 1904-Os were gold and red on the semi exposed end coins.

My Father left a MEGHRIG (sp) album in his safe box for 25+ years. Those have the coins touching cardboard one side and plastic on the other. Most of the Morgans were heavily toned blue on the reverse and slight rainbow blue and red on the obverse when we retrieved the album. A bank roll of new 1904-Os were gold and red on the semi exposed end coins.

I'd love to see photos of some of them if you still have them.

Chris

A lot of my Morgans have toned on one side when displayed in these cases made of walnut and covered in plexiglass. The reverse side sits on green felt. :grin:

Picture009-18-1.jpgPicture010-13.jpg

Picture018-11-1.jpgPicture001-23.jpg